Aug 13, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
Lots of rotation weirdness this year. Six mans, four mans. Here’s another six-man: the Atlanta Braves.
With Tommy Hanson coming off the disabled list, Fredi Gonzalez had to figure out who to bump. The most likely choices were Kris Medlen or Mike Minor, but given that everyone has pitched fairly well, Gonzalez has decided to go with all six dudes — Hudson, Hanson, Medlen, Minor, Sheets and Maholm — until the off day on August 30, and then go back to a five-man after that.
Meanwhile, Old Hoss Radbourn looks at this with disgust. Of course he’s looked at the very concept of a pitching “rotation” with disgust for a 128 years.
Best case: everyone continues to pitch well through then and Atlanta has fresher arms for the final playoff push. Worse case: three dudes drop like flies and I have to make posts that start out with “remember back when the Braves had more starters than they could use …?”
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 69
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 161
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (161)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (122)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)