Aug 13, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
There’s an interesting article in the New York Times today about what the Astros face in rebuilding and, more specifically, how their new owner and new GM are approaching it. The best news in the article: the color orange is going to make a comeback in the new uniforms for next year.
The most interesting part, however, is this. At least to me:
Symbolically, the most significant change might be in Luhnow’s office. Most general managers have depth charts of all 30 teams and their own farm clubs covering their walls for quick visual reference. Luhnow hates them.
“That board was in the office that I inherited back in December, and one of the first things I did was ask them to take it out,” he said. “Depth charts are something that I can get online at the stroke of a button.”
I’d be curious to know how many GMs actually have those things up on the walls still. That’s kind of mind-blowing to me. I mean, I don’t play fantasy baseball and I’m kind of a lame old man when it comes to technology, but how hard is this?
Even Brian Sabean could store those on his Commodore64, hooked to the Internet via GEOS.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)