Brandon Inge is tougher than you, but still headed to the DL

Aug 14, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT

Riggs

As expected the A’s have placed third baseman Brandon Inge on the disabled list with a dislocated shoulder suffered in Saturday’s game.

Inge has been terrible offensively despite a hot start with the A’s, hitting just .224 with a .669 OPS in 73 games, although as usual his defense at third base has been solid. In fact, his ability to make a diving stop on a ball hit down the third base line led to the injury.

All of which is mostly just an excuse for me to mention that Inge claims this is the 16th or 17th time he’s dislocated his shoulder–Mel Gibson’s character from Lethal Weapon still holds the all-time record, but just barely–and popped his own shoulder back into place on the field moments after the injury Saturday.

Seriously, here’s the MLB.com video:

1. cur68 - Aug 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Oh yeah? But can Inge get out of a straight jacket? Huh? Can he? I didn’t think so.

• kkolchak - Aug 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Well, he’s still in Oakland, so I would gather not. :D

2. stex52 - Aug 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Watching that made my eyes water.

3. hammyofdoom - Aug 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Anyone who’s had a history of dislocations can tell you that the more you dislocate a joint the weaker it gets. I’m only going on 22 but I had somewhere around a dozen knee dislocations before I turned 19, once you get one or two of the buggers you get them quite often until you get some pretty radical surgery. Badassery indeed Mr. Inge, badassery indeed.

4. IdahoMariner - Aug 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Wow. That was. Wow.

5. seeinred87 - Aug 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Inge probably would’ve made a good hockey player.

6. clydeserra - Aug 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM

NOt to mention, two batters after that play he started a 5-4-3 DP to end the inning, then delivered a go ahead single in the top of the next inning.

BAMF.

7. jon623 - Aug 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Did he just…. wow.

Really? Who puts their shoulder back into place, tosses one to the pitcher and goes “yeah, I’m good. I’ll stay in”? There is no way to express this player’s grittiness. That’s just raw, unfiltered toughness.

I bet he had a salad of nails for dinner that night then shaved with a steak knife.

8. scoocha - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I doubt he’s tougher than most.

Three legends off to Cooperstown