Aug 14, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
It was mostly “no comment” in the Red Sox clubhouse this afternoon after the Yahoo! Sports report stating that Red Sox players met with ownership to try to get Bobby Valentine fired as manager.
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty has the quotes:
“I just want to play baseball, man,” Dustin Pedroia said, declining to confirm or deny Jeff Passan’s report.
Adrian Gonzalez, the reported ringleader, admitted to a meeting, but when asked if he was trying to get Valentine fired, he said “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He went on bash Passan’s article: “I’ve never seen that guy in our clubhouse before. He doesn’t know what’s going on with us.”
Red Sox upper management must not believe that things are quite as bad as Passan presented, given that the team neither fired Valentine nor weighed dealing Gonzalez when the Dodgers came calling before the trade deadline. The meeting happened last month, so the Sox could have parted ways with Gonzalez if they thought he was a driving force in a clubhouse full of malcontents.
Of course, there are two other possibilities: things really are that bad and upper management either just doesn’t realize it or is divided on what to do about it. That division does seem to exist, after all; it’s why Valentine, Larry Lucchino’s choice, got the job when GM Ben Cherington reportedly preferred Dale Sveum and Gene Lamont.
On the plus side, at least the players are now united in a common cause. Score one for Bobby V.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 51
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)