Aug 14, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
It’s beginning to look more and more likely that Matt Garza will begin next season as a member of the Cubs.
Garza is still in shut-down mode due to a stress reaction in his right elbow. While he’s still hopeful of returning this year, David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com notes that Cubs manager Dale Sveum expressed some skepticism during an appearance on WGN Radio in Chicago this afternoon.
“To be honest with you, I’d be surprised if he pitches again this season. We all want him back but when the rehab is done and right now we have 48 or 49 games left and he works his butt off but’s going to be tough. Is it possible sometime this year? Sure, but I would be surprised if he pitches again this season,” Sveum said.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that Sveum backtracked a bit upon arriving to Wrigley Field this afternoon, but he still conceded that a lot of things will have to go right for Garza to return this season.
“We don’t know that,” Sveum said. “It’s going to be very — I don’t want to say really unlikely he’ll be back — but it’ll probably take a lot of hard work and for some things to happen in the healing process to get back because you’re going to run out of time, basically to rehab. … It’ll be kind of tough, but some guys heal quicker than others.”
The Cubs reportedly shopped Garza leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, but assuming he doesn’t pitch again this season, teams will likely want him to prove his health next year before talking about a possible deal. The 28-year-old right-hander is making $9.5 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)