Aug 14, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Dallas Braden hasn’t pitched in a major league game since April 16, 2011. And now his absence will stretch into the 2013 campaign.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Athletics manager Bob Melvin said this afternoon that Braden will undergo a second surgery on his left shoulder.
Braden has been sidelined all season following surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule muscle in his left shoulder last May. The 29-year-old left-hander was still hoping to return in September as of a month ago, but his shoulder simply hasn’t responded as hoped. Melvin said that he’s set for “exploratory” surgery, so the extent of the damage isn’t yet known.
Braden owns a 4.16 ERA over parts of five seasons in the majors. He had a 3.50 ERA over 30 starts with the Athletics in 2010, a season highlighted by his perfect game against the Rays on Mother’s Day.
Braden is under team control through 2013, but it’s worth noting that he earned $3.35 million this season in arbitration. Given his shoulder issues, it could be a tough call to tender him a contract this winter.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (277)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)