Aug 14, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Jerry Hairston Jr. has apparently been playing through a hip injury for three months without telling anyone, but the Dodgers utility man finally had to shut things down and has been placed on the disabled list.
Hairston got off to a great start, hitting .366 with a .960 OPS through June 10, but since then–a span of slightly more than two months–he’s hit just .204 with a .556 OPS in 44 games.
At age 36 it’s very possible that Hairston simply stopped performing well, but as is so often the case there’s also a pretty good chance that playing through the injury for three months didn’t actually help the Dodgers all that much.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (150)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)