Aug 14, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Jerry Hairston Jr. has apparently been playing through a hip injury for three months without telling anyone, but the Dodgers utility man finally had to shut things down and has been placed on the disabled list.
Hairston got off to a great start, hitting .366 with a .960 OPS through June 10, but since then–a span of slightly more than two months–he’s hit just .204 with a .556 OPS in 44 games.
At age 36 it’s very possible that Hairston simply stopped performing well, but as is so often the case there’s also a pretty good chance that playing through the injury for three months didn’t actually help the Dodgers all that much.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1