Aug 14, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
R.A. Dickey is under the Mets’ control for next season via $5 million team option, but Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that the team’s recent pursuit of a contract extension for the knuckleballer didn’t get very far.
According to McCullough “earlier this season Dickey and the Mets discussed a short-term extension into at least 2014″ but “the team elected to wait and observe Dickey during the course of the season.”
That was a reasonable enough stance to take with a 37-year-old knuckleballer who had zero success before 2010, but obviously Dickey’s price tag has gone up considerably since then as he’s shown little sign of slowing down and is now 15-3 with a 2.72 ERA and league-leading 166 strikeouts.
It’s hard to predict the market for Dickey, but it’s not hard to imagine multiple teams making two- and maybe even three-year offers in excess of $10 million per season on the open market.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)