Aug 14, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
So far among AL starters anyway.
Jeremy Guthrie couldn’t solve Coors Field, but he appears to have found his comfort zone in Kansas City. The veteran right-hander backed up his eight shutout-inning performance against the White Sox last week with seven more scoreless innings Tuesday in a victory over the A’s.
Guthrie allowed just three hits and struck out eight tonight. He lost his first three starts as a member of the Royals, but he’s now sporting a 4.02 ERA and a 26/7 K/BB ratio in 31 1/3 innings for the club. That puts him ahead of July’s more hyped American League pitching imports:
Zack Greinke (LAA) – 1-1 with a 5.54 ERA in four starts
Ryan Dempster (Tex) – 1-1 with an 8.31 ERA in three starts
Francisco Liriano (ChW) – 0-0 with a 5.65 ERA in three starts
Anibal Sanchez (Det) – 1-3 with a 7.97 ERA in four starts
And all Guthrie cost the Royals was a soon-to-be released Jonathan Sanchez.
Given that Guthrie is eligible for free agency at season’s end, one wonders if the Royals will try offering him an extension before much longer. He was perfectly solid for the Orioles before washing out in Coors Field, so it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to offer him $12 million for two years and see if he bites.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)