Aug 14, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
I’m loathe to ever say a team “made a statement.” There are a lot of damn baseball games, see, so no “statement” can last much more than 24 hours. For example, if the Giants come back and kick the poop out of the Nats tonight and tomorrow afternoon, that statement would be something like “pardon me, I seem to have stepped on your toe, oh, don’t get up … OW!! Stop Kicking me!”
That said, the Nats sort of made a statement last night.
In a possible playoff preview, Washington destroyed San Francisco, 14-2, batting the NL’s ERA leader Ryan Vogelsong for eight runs on nine hits in two and a two-thirds. The Nats led 14-0 after five. Their 21 hits were the most ever for an opponent at AT&T Park.
Overall, the Nats’ dominance is becoming clear. The win was their 11th in 13 games. On this current road trip they are 7-1. They have baseball’s best record, its second largest division lead and its best run differential. Since the All-Star break they have also scored more runs than anyone.
They look pretty good, on the whole, against NL contenders as well. On the season they are 8-4 against the Braves, their closest division rival. They are 5-2 against Cincinnati. They’ve beaten the Giants, soundly, in all four games they’ve played. They’ve taken four of six from the Dbacks. The Dodgers have handled them, however and they’ve lost three of five to the Pirates. They’ve yet to play the Cardinals.
Obviously the playoffs are a different beast — and I still think the decision to go voluntarily bench Stephen Strasburg in October will haunt them — but at the moment everything is coming up Nationals.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)