Aug 15, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
Red Sox owner John Henry sent an email to the Boston beat writers on Wednesday morning denying a claim made by Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports that a number of star players, including Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez, asked for manager Bobby Valentine to be fired in a closed-door meeting last month with the organization’s higher-ups.
And now Gonzalez himself has issued a denial.
From Rob Bradford, beat writer for WEEI.com:
“The source is inaccurate,” said Gonzalez. “It says that I was animated and one of the most vocal guys in the meeting, and that’s false. I had a discussion with Bobby about that today. He knows exactly what happened. He knows the truth. I don’t know why this all of a sudden becomes something because this happened a month ago. So it’s all been cleared, and now somebody decides to write it. It’s already old. I think we’re all getting accustomed to Bobby. I’ve told this to John Henry, I’ve told this to Ben Cherington, and I’ve told it to Bobby, I think he’s a good manager. Nobody faults him for losing, and that’s unfair.”
Passan has stood by his source, calling the Red Sox “dysfunctional” and telling ESPN’s Mike and Mike that “there’s a lot more that’s going to come out about this as the team devolves toward September.”
Boston entered play Wednesday evening with a 57-60 record, ranking fourth in the American League East.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 13
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 37
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)