Adrian Gonzalez is also denying the Yahoo! Sports report

Aug 15, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT

valentine gonzalez ap AP

Red Sox owner John Henry sent an email to the Boston beat writers on Wednesday morning denying a claim made by Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports that a number of star players, including Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez, asked for manager Bobby Valentine to be fired in a closed-door meeting last month with the organization’s higher-ups.

And now Gonzalez himself has issued a denial.

From Rob Bradford, beat writer for WEEI.com:

“The source is inaccurate,” said Gonzalez. “It says that I was animated and one of the most vocal guys in the meeting, and that’s false. I had a discussion with Bobby about that today. He knows exactly what happened. He knows the truth. I don’t know why this all of a sudden becomes something because this happened a month ago. So it’s all been cleared, and now somebody decides to write it. It’s already old. I think we’re all getting accustomed to Bobby. I’ve told this to John Henry, I’ve told this to Ben Cherington, and I’ve told it to Bobby, I think he’s a good manager. Nobody faults him for losing, and that’s unfair.”

Passan has stood by his source, calling the Red Sox “dysfunctional” and telling ESPN’s Mike and Mike that “there’s a lot more that’s going to come out about this as the team devolves toward September.”

Boston entered play Wednesday evening with a 57-60 record, ranking fourth in the American League East.

1. EK Ohio - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM

So, are we going to believe Passan, a gossip monger, who is rooting for an apocalypse in Boston or multiple members of the team? I think I know what most of the people here will say (and what the reasonable people will say).

• paperlions - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Well, Passan has little incentive to make anything up….the world is full of things he could write about without jeopardizing his career by fabricating a source and story.

In contrast, the Red Sox have every reason to deny a report that portrays the organization as dysfunctional. In reality, what seems more likely: a) that the Red Sox are suddenly all happy (as opposed to the organization that chased its manager and GM away last winter and then had Luccino over-rule the new GM on the hire of the new manager), or that b) that there are too many egos, too much finger pointing, and too little communication in the organization?

I hate Passan, so I’m rather annoyed at having to defend his perspective….but it is far more likely that his source was telling him the truth than the Red Sox making statements since the story posted are.

• hockeyflow33 - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM

How is he jeopardizing his career? Plenty of writers make up stories or sources and claim reliance upon some anonymous source who can never be disclosed. It happens all the time here in Boston and I’m sure on the national level as well.

• bigleagues - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:34 AM

paperlions:

While I agree Passan is not making this stuff up, he may be a pawn in someones agenda. In other words, I think the tail may be wagging the dog a little here.

One thing that troubles me is an item towards the end of his column regarding the Carl Crawford 4-days on, 1 day off program. Passan claims that it was Valentine who conceived of and implemented that program only to abandon it.

I read a lot of different accounts of what transpired with regard to that Crawford playing program and every one of those accounts said it was the head trainer who designed and implemented the program and that Valentine refused to follow it from the very beginning – which lead to the Trainer going over Valentine’s head to enforce the proscribed regimen.

Now Passan is reporting something ENTIRELY different from any other account I have read. And strangely, NO ONE has called him to the mat on it.

I tried. I tweeted Passan yesterday afternoon asking for him to elaborate or clarify that and no response. Sure he could have missed my menial little tweet, but still he has been all over the media in Boston and no one I have heard or read have asked him to clarify that.

And yeah, he either has and exclusive, has it wrong because someone gave him their version of it, or Passan just wrote what he thought happened from memory as a space filler.

In any event, I’m done getting excited one way or the other about any of this stuff until heads start rolling and the truth starts seeping out.

In my humble opinion, there are too many agendas and too many versions of the truth to know what to believe at this point. But I do know something doesn’t smell right about that one item in Passan’s column.

• paperlions - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I agree BL. I don’t think any of the stories are fully correct or complete….and if anyone related to the Passan story had an agenda, it was the source, not the writer (as you said, why report the Crawford thing as Valentine’s idea, which is both odd that and in conflict to all previous reports)….and there are far too many agendas in the Red Sox organization that are pulling in different directions. That is one reason I thought the Valentine hire was strange, because he always has his own agenda as well (promote Bobby V), which seems to take precedence over managing (at least it seems that way considering all the self promotion he does and how little time he spends interacting with the players)….why add another agenda to an already overly complicated agenda-rich situation?

Until they clean the front office up, the product on the field is going to be a mess because it is the result of multiple cooks in the kitchen, each with a different vision.

• skids003 - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I agree with hockeyflow. Writers and the press make up stuff all the time, then claim anonymous sources, and hide behind freedom of the press. It happens in the political arena on an hour by hour basis, just look at the stuff MSNBC puts on their site. It really is disgusting at how the media operates.

Saying that, the Sox are digging deeper and deeper into a deep hole.

• paperlions - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:30 AM

…and when any of those guys are discovered, they are fired and never hired by anyone again. When you have no credibility, your career is over.

Thinking reporters make things up is ignorant wishful thinking….it is far more likely that the sources exist, and passed on inaccurate information, gossip that may or may not turn out to happen (in the case of trade rumors), or accurate information that people don’t want public and will deny.

• sarcasticks - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Players don’t incite a meeting with ownership to simply take all the blame for performing poorly. It’s likely that Passan and/or his source embellished some details to add interest, but the main point, which no one disputes, is they had a meeting to discuss their performance and the players offered suggestions on things that need to be improved.

Did anyone specifically call for Valentine’s head? Doubtful, as that would take serious guts. But a laundry list of things they disagree with that include Valentine and his coaching abilities seem likely.

• brewcrewfan54 - Aug 15, 2012 at 11:32 PM

AsI said earlier, why would the players have a meeting with upper management without Bobby V in attendance if the meeting wasn’t about getting rid of him?

• sarcasticks - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:38 AM

If you’re a high ranking person, and your company has a meeting with all the other high ranking people, and asks you not to attend, the meeting is about you.

• chumthumper - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Passan comes across as a real world Max Mercy.

2. bozosforall - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM

AGon is a Puh C

• giselleisasucubus - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Takes one to know one you f**king clown.

• bozosforall - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM

You are the biggest Puh C here, jizzelle

• fanoredsox - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Does your “MOM” let you go down on her with that mouth MISTER?

• bozosforall - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM

No, but I’ll be that AGon lets you go down on him nightly.

• sabatimus - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Ah! Look at all the 3rd-grade insults!

• bozosforall - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Beats your kindergarten response every time.

3. ch0psuey - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Feel bad for Adrian having to deal with all this Boston BS drama. Makes me wonder if the San Diego ownership issue was settled last year if they would have had the money to keep him. Adrian batting before or after Carlos Quentin, both San Diego born players…

• ch0psuey - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Second after I post this he gets ejected from the game… along with Valentine. lol.

4. clownsfan - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Me doth think he protests to much

• hammyofdoom - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I’d protest too with the Boston media sharking around me as hard as they have the Red Sox this year. Seriously, they’re as bad as paparazzi at this point

5. DJ MC - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Gonzalez was thrown out of the game this evening, and maybe it was my imagination, but when Valentine started out onto the field for his eventual ejection the look on his face said, “Man, I have to go out and defend THIS guy?”

• hammyofdoom - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I saw his face and to me it was more of a “I swear to god, I want all the beers once this season is over”

6. hammyofdoom - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I dunno if I’ll get a slap on a wrist for this, but I think everyone should take a deep breath and read the article (and the one referenced to) by Evan over at firebrandal.com http://firebrandal.com/2012/08/15/drama-reigns-in-boston/ . Honestly, it does really well in describing just what the hell has gone on in Boston is so strange. Going off of the runs scored/allowed alone the Red Sox should be 62 and 55, and the Red Sox have had FORTY PERCENT of their payroll on the DL this year. That’s goddamn ridiculous

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Don’t blame injuries. The injuries for the Sox are a part of the problem, but as the cliche goes, it is a problem for every team. The inflexible roster (due to terrible contracts and lame trades) is the reason the injuries have hurt so badly.

The Yankees lost Mo, Arod, Pineda, Gardner, Joba, CC, Robertson, etc and seen some serious regression from other players like Nunez, Martin; the Dodgers lost Kemp, Lilly, Hairston, Uribe, Gordon, and had their closer and 1B stink up the field. If anyone wants to complain about injuries they can call Alex A up in Toronto and see if he has time to hear Boston cry about injuries.

• hammyofdoom - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Okay, while I understand every team deals with injuries, I’m not sure you quite get the depth of the Red Sox’s injuries. Imagine if Ibanez, Jones, Granderson, Swisher, Arod (AND chavez, his replacement), Cano were all hurt at the same time. Not only that but if Mark Teixeira was hitting for no power until late July. So it’d be all of LF, CF, RF, 3B, 2B. All gone for months at a time. Thats not even talking about how poorly some of the healthy players have been on the field. And also just because I talk about the Red Sox injuries doesn’t mean I’m not aware of the Blue Jays losing most of their starting rotation in like two weeks time a little while ago. Shit happens, but it just so happens a TON of it has happened to the Red Sox.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I’m not trying to jump down your throat with this. I’m just saying that the Red Sox largely made their bed, including taking on injury risks at prohibitive costs while lacking depth. Most of their injuries happened to injury prone guys, or guys coming off major injuries/surgeries. Was anyone shocked by injuries to Bailey, Lackey, Beckett, Ellsbury, Crawford, Buchholz, DiceK or AGon (coming off shoulder surgery when they signed him to an extension) Then they traded away their depth in Youk (for nothing).

They have had a few more injuries than the average team, but their lack of depth and the horribly expensive contracts given to fragile players are the factors that have done in this team.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Pretty sure the St. Louis Cardinals Organization could also stake a claim to the ole’ whoas’ me injury bug (and that’s the pitching staff alone).

• sarcasticks - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM

How can a team play better? Get the players to play better, get better players, or get healthier players. The last two have almost nothing to do with Valentine. The first one is key for him, and apparently not something that going well right now. I think they players are at fault, but the fact is, unless management is committed to overhauling the team with players who fit Valentine’s managing style, they probably have to go find a manager who can get more out of the players that currently exist, than Valentine can.

• hammyofdoom - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM

They havent had a few more injuries than the average team, they’ve had far and away the most in baseball, there is a huge difference there. And just curious, where did this whole “Ellsbury is injury prone” myth come from? He never once had a serious injury before the broken ribs, and that’s going back to his college days. Carl crawford isnt “injury prone” either before his Red Sox days, the only time he played less than 143 games in a season was in 2008 and even then he played over 100 games.
      And as for Adrian Gonzalez had a monster year his first year with the Sox and even with his first half troubles he’s statistically a top 10 1B this year, and after how he started that’s amazing. Buchholz has had injury problems but he’s young and has been nearly unhittable for the past month, so I’m okay with his early season struggles as well. Beckett yeah you expect injuries from, John Lackey was a big of a risk but not many people poo-pooed that signing when it happened, but If you look at Ellsbury and Crawford’s past I have no clue where “injury prone” comes in. Ellsbury had a total of one injury, his ribs, and Crawford missed significant time way back in 08 and had his best year ever in 2010.

7. keithbangedyermom - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Color me excited for more of this next month.

8. shaggylocks - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Obviously Gonzalez is lying. I mean, c’mon, anonymous source. Waaaay more credible than all the people who have since said Passan got it wrong.

9. henryd3rd - Aug 16, 2012 at 5:17 AM

This ship she be a sinking. And next up for the Red Sox the New York Yankees in Yankee Stadium. Have a great weekend! Is Francona doing the ESPN game on Sunday night? Sweet Justice!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5424)