Aug 15, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
It might be time to write off Daniel Bard for the rest of the year.
The 27-year-old righty walked four of the five batters he faced Tuesday in his appearance for Triple-A Pawtucket. He’s walked 10 and giving up eight runs in 4 2/3 innings this month.
Bard was throwing better towards the end of July, allowing just an unearned run and two walks over five innings in his last five appearances of the month. August has been a different story, though. The feeling is that Bard’s struggles are the result of both poor mechanics and a lack of confidence. He hasn’t gone full-on Rick Ankiel, but some of it is mental.
“There were some outings I was really frustrated afterward, and it was like, ‘Where do I go from here?’” Bard said earlier this month. “It kind of gives you that light at the end of the tunnel. I’m healthy, I’ve done this before, I’m going to do it again in the near future.”
Overall, Bard has allowed 24 earned runs in 28 innings for Pawtucket, giving him a 7.71 ERA. He’s struck out 30 and walked 27.
In case you were wondering, Mark Prior, too, is having some control problems at Pawtucket. He’s walked 13 batters in his last nine outings, and his ERA is on the rise. He has a 4.01 ERA and a 38/23 K/BB ratio in 24 2/3 innings over his 18 appearances.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)