Jaime Garcia has been cleared to return, so the Cardinals are shifting Joe Kelly to the ‘pen

Aug 15, 2012, 7:38 PM EST

joe kelly cardinals getty Getty Images

Cardinals right-hander Joe Kelly has posted a solid 3.41 ERA this season over the first 12 starts of his major league career, serving as a fantastic fill-in for injured lefty Jaime Garcia. But Garcia just wrapped up a rehab assignment Tuesday night at Triple-A Memphis, so Kelly’s run in the rotation is over.

According to FOX Sports Midwest, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny announced to the media a few hours before first pitch Wednesday against the Diamondbacks that Kelly will be moved to the bullpen for the remainder of the 2012 season.

Garcia — out since early June with a strained shoulder — is set to return Sunday to face the Pirates.

Kelly has never been considered an elite prospect, but the 24-year-old certainly displayed some positives in his 68 2/3 innings in the St. Louis rotation and has a chance to play a big role in long relief down the stretch.

The Cardinals enter play Wednesday night with a 63-53 record, ranking third in the National League Central.

1. okwhitefalcon - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM

It’ll be interesting to see the corresponding roster move when Garcia is activated, seems as though it will probably be Trevor Rosenthal taking the train to Memphis.

He won’t be there long, a sure September call up I presume…

• 78mu - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:12 AM

At least Kerlly doesn’t have to worry about getting shipped to Memphis when Brian Fuentes comes back. It sounds like Tito Fuentes has a better chance of playing in St. Louis and he’s been retired since the ’70’s.

2. maynardstool - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I’m not sure that it’s a sure fire upgrade at this point. IMO its a pretty big risk. If he’s not right and he loses his first 2-3 starts it could push them out of contention.

I just don’t see how the injury he had would heal itself without surgery

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I don’t think it’s sure fire by any means, Garcia wasn’t exactly sharp in his 4 rehab starts.

I suspect he’ll have an extremely short leash, especially with the added flexibility Kelly will provide along with expanded rosters Sept 1.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I am with you Maynard. Personally, I expect nothing out of Jaime this year.
      As WhiteFalcon stated…I am sure the leash will be very short as well.

3. thomas655 - Aug 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Garcia had a great 2011 season, but showed me nothing special anytime this season. I do not know if the injury happened much earlier than we were told, but he has not been the same caliber pitcher this season compared to last season. Kelly has been a pretty good fill-in, I would keep him in the mix until Garcia proves himself again. That game Garcia pitched against the Lastros was horrible, and he continued downhill from there.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester