Melky Cabrera suspended for 50 games for positive testosterone test

Aug 15, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Big, big news out of San Francisco that could have major playoff implications: Melky Cabrera has been suspended 50 games for a positive testosterone test.

That knocks him out for the rest of the season — the Giants only have 45 games left — and presumably the postseason. Though I’ll check to see whether suspensions can be counted off with postseason games. If they can. He’d be available for a theoretical NLCS.

Oh, and it appears that Melky lied to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com about it too, so that’s fun.

Cabrera is hitting .346/.390/.516 on the year and, until Buster Posey‘s hot streak of late, was the Giants’ offensive MVP for most of the season.  Now … he’s gone.  And it hurts not just the Giants: Cabrera will be a free agent after the season is over, and now his free agent money drive is all gone.

UPDATE: Cabrera just made a statement and he made no excuses:

“My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used. I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down.”

Wow. Can’t remember many violators who actually owned up without caveat.

132 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. illcomm - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

he did it to make money. look at the league, there r a bunch of players that have jacked up numbers in contract year, sign a big fat extension, then taper off. steroids are still prevelent.

• keithbangedyermom - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Exactly. And those of us that are suspicious of performance spikes shouldn’t be ridiculed. MLB made its bed.

2. brownsbraves11 - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

As a Braves fan….this is glorious.

• teambringitstrong - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Why, you will be sitting at home after the 1st around anyway as usual.

3. Ralph - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I’m sure it’s just something in the water out in SF.

• crisisjunky - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:39 AM

The best thing in The City water was that cool Delorean out in McCovey Cove…
      Like Melk, impressive, just not a REAL Delorean.

4. fuddpucker - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I knew it and I actually CALLED IT!

There’s no way an average player can all the sudden be superhero like Melky’s been the last 2 years WITHOUT INJECTING STEROIDS!!!!

Thanks for getting caught Melky. You just PROVED the OBVIOUS!!

• afirst916 - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM

but he didn’t do…nevermind

5. henryd3rd - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I envisioned him going back to the Yankees and playing with his buddy Cano; but I doubt if Hal Steinbrenner or Brian Cashmnan would want to touch that dude now!

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM

They didn’t want to sign him last time he was a free agent- even with A-Rod’s prodding. Apparently there were character issues that sour the front office to him.

6. temporarilyexiled - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Now we’ll see what the Giants are really made of.

Their new set lineup lasted all of one day.

This also explains mangement’s lowball offer, and how Melky started to come back to earth after the rumor.

7. vikesfansteve - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM

At least he had the balls to admit it & not say it was ingested by accident in cold medicine or a nutritional supplement. Since he fessed up he will be forgiven.

• jarathen - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Yeah, he cheated, and that sucks, but I agree. At least he was an adult about it. NO talk of mysterious “circumstances” that will never be explained.

8. smcgaels1997 - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Poor decision…but at least he’s owned up to it unlike Braun and countless others.

9. fuddpucker - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM

See, the cheating is still out there. I don’t even know if MLB does random testing during the season. I think they have to have something to go on, right?

Melky was just hitting too good for them not to be suspicious.

10. deathmonkey41 - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Why didn’t he just say he drank tainted milkshakes in the DR or something?

11. frenchysplatediscipline - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:21 PM

How ironic. The Giants lose their best hitter to a failed PED test and his name isn’t Bonds.

Oh well. Good riddance fuckface.

I am sure that there is a jovial conversation taking place in the Braves clubhouse right now. :D

Oh and Melky? If you couldn’t handle the Braves fans getting on your shit about being a lackluster terd during your time there, you are in for a might rude awakening next year…

• teambringitstrong - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Get over yourself, your two-bit team and your joke of a city.

• skerney - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Buster Posey is the Giants best hitter. He is also better than every player on the Atlanta Braves.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Oh I’m sorry – is Buster already going to the HOF?

Seems to be there might be a first ballot type still playing in Atlanta – and still raking it I might add…

• skerney - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Grow up, I didn’t say Buster is going to the hall of fame. I didn’t say his career eclipses Chippers. My point is that this year he is better than every player in the Braves lineup. Heyward included. You know what I meant but you chose to be snarky and score points for Chipper Jones. It’s people like you frenchy that make the internet aggravating.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Grow up? Interesting choice of words skerney.

Considering I said my piece about Melky (who pretty much stole money from the Braves the year he was there) and included a barb about Bonds (who is the epitome of cheaters in MLB), and then you got defensive and pouty (and seemed to take away some unintended personal inference) and said Buster is better then any Brave hitter.

Then when I pointed out he isn’t as good as Chipper (and not even this year – 6 weeks of getting hot doesn’t mean shit in my book – see Bryan LaHair), you got defensive (again) and took a personal swipe at me.

Yes, it’s people like me that make the internet aggravating. But I digress…

• skerney - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Frenchy, the term is “say your peace” not “piece.” Also, enlighten me about your “book” of baseball that apparently includes a chapter about Posey not being shit after winning Rookie of the year, a World Series ring, starting the All star game, having an oWAR of over 5 this season (which is higher than any Braves hitter), being among NL leaders in BA, and playing the toughest position on the field. I SO want to read you “say your piece.”

• frenchysplatediscipline - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Good. More proof that, not only are you a fan of a shitty baseball team, but you are/were clearly not an English major.

Using peace in a phrase like that is unacceptable on most campuses in the US. And while both are correct, to “say ones piece” is much more widely accepted in the English lexicon.

Ha. Dumb as shit AND an asshole… Now if you were just rich also, you could be a politician!

• tbk201 - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Anything to forgot about the epic choke job last year

• frenchysplatediscipline - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

What can I say – we choked. It’s depressing.

But this was more about the series in July where Melky came into Atlanta and seemed to have some kind of score to settle and acted like a child with his dancing and crotch chops.

Simply pointing out that karma sucks.

But yeah – we choked.

12. delawarephilliesfan - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

So, does anyone know if Melky’s test went FedEx “Standard Overnight” or “Priority Overnight”?

Makes a big difference, you know

13. chill1184 - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Am I the only one that is not surprised?

14. happster - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Of course, he’s from the Yankees, what did you expecvt?

15. happster - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Of course, he’s from the Yankees, what did you expect?

16. timpaz - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Wow!! Serious trouble for Giants playoff hopes, but at least Melky admitted his mistake, not like most of the offenders.

17. fuddpucker - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Just think how much money this cost Melky. His contract was up at the end of the year and he would have signed for something like 15 million a year.

You almost made it Melky but alas, you came up 45 days too short!

18. tbk201 - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Thanks God the Giants low-balled him during contract extension talks.

19. vallewho - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I bet Melky is sorry he doesn’t play for the Brewers.

20. Steve A - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Does everyone invoking Braun’s name in the comments remember the differences between his case and Cabrera’s?

Braun’s positive test never got the chance of appeal before being made public. Cabrera’s did. Don’t forget that when trying to compare the two.

• delawarephilliesfan - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Yes, I remember the differences. Cabrera admited it, Braun denied it

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Downdinging folks can also compare Braun’s season this year to last year, but whatever.

But, yeah, what a straight up guy who admitted to taking a whole fan base on a fraudulent ride.

• delawarephilliesfan - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM

For the record, I do not at all think Cabrerea is “straight up”, or deserves any credit. I said the same thing about Andy Petite.

21. Rich Stowe - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

according to what I just read, the suspension does count in the post-season…so he would be eligible to come back if they make it far enough – if they don’t make the playoffs the suspension carries over to next year

22. theboysofdallas - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

At least he owned up to it

23. artthoumad - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I find it hilarious that Melky needed the PEDs not to hit for power but to replicate his surprising career year in 2011. And it makes Ryan Braun look more innocent.

24. memphisyinzer - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Why is iy okay because he owned up to it? He knew it was wrong but he did it anyway. To apologize to the team and his fans is nothing but Bull$^#&. He probably just ran them out of the playoffs, but he’s sorry? I think the team should suspend him another 50 games just for being a huge dumbass. These guys know damn well that they’re going to get caught and they just roll the dice anyhow. They should be ashamed to be putting the millions in their pockets that they are given. But, hell, these guys have no shame.

25. tredav111 - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3156)