Aug 15, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
It’s been a great ride for the Pirates thus far, but as of late it’s getting a little bumpy.
The Pirates have lost five of six and are 16-15 since the break. Part of this? The starting pitching has faltered a bit. James McDonald has gotten noticed for his bumpy second half, but the rotation overall has had its issues.
More troubling is the offense, which has helped carry them after a slow start from the non-McCutchen components. Since the break the team OBP is .309. The Pirates were frisky when McCutchen was carrying the team by himself, but they began to look like serious contenders only when others began to contribute. They need that overall contribution to resume to stay above water.
I’m not declaring the Pirates dead or anything. It’s merely been a bad week. But right now the Giants/Dodgers duo and the Cardinals look like threats. And given our lack of data on how this Pirates team responds when pushed, they’re definitely worth watching.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 23
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 30
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (113)