Aug 16, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
From beat writer Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com comes word that Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie is tentatively scheduled to spend this upcoming weekend playing in minor league rehab games and could be cleared to return to the active 25-man roster as early as Tuesday night.
Lawrie has been on the 15-day disabled list since August 4 with a strained oblique muscle. He’ll likely have to make it through a workout on Friday in Toronto before the Jays send him to the farm.
The 22-year-old was batting .282/.326/.416 with nine homers, 40 RBI and 13 steals in 427 plate appearances before hitting the shelf. Adeiny Hechavarria and Omar Vizquel have been filling in at the hot corner.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 90
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)