Aug 16, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
From beat writer Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com comes word that Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie is tentatively scheduled to spend this upcoming weekend playing in minor league rehab games and could be cleared to return to the active 25-man roster as early as Tuesday night.
Lawrie has been on the 15-day disabled list since August 4 with a strained oblique muscle. He’ll likely have to make it through a workout on Friday in Toronto before the Jays send him to the farm.
The 22-year-old was batting .282/.326/.416 with nine homers, 40 RBI and 13 steals in 427 plate appearances before hitting the shelf. Adeiny Hechavarria and Omar Vizquel have been filling in at the hot corner.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (205)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)