Aug 16, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
From beat writer Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com comes word that Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie is tentatively scheduled to spend this upcoming weekend playing in minor league rehab games and could be cleared to return to the active 25-man roster as early as Tuesday night.
Lawrie has been on the 15-day disabled list since August 4 with a strained oblique muscle. He’ll likely have to make it through a workout on Friday in Toronto before the Jays send him to the farm.
The 22-year-old was batting .282/.326/.416 with nine homers, 40 RBI and 13 steals in 427 plate appearances before hitting the shelf. Adeiny Hechavarria and Omar Vizquel have been filling in at the hot corner.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)