Aug 16, 2012, 11:34 AM EST
Last November, you’ll recall, Mariners outfielder Greg Halman was stabbed to death in his Rotterdam apartment. Arrested for the stabbing and charged with manslaughter was Halman’s brother, Jason Halman. There were no other suspects. Dutch authorities, however, have released Jason Halman:
A Dutch court has ordered the brother of slain former Seattle Mariners outfielder Greg Halman provisionally released after prosecutors joined the defense in asking for his acquittal on manslaughter charges.
The basis: psychiatrists said he was having a psychotic episode at the time of the killing. The court will rule on August 30 if the acquittal will go forward. For now Jason Halman is free and, in all likelihood, he will remain free. Though no matter what comes of this, it is in no way a happy ending for anyone.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4