Aug 16, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
After an 11-game losing streak knocked his team out of contention for 2012, Indians manager Manny Acta is looking ahead towards next year.
“It’s no secret, we’re going to need to improve our offense,” Acta told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “We’re going to have to find a solution in left field, we’re going to have to find a solution at first base and we’re going to have to find a solution at DH. That’s pretty obvious.
“And the third base situation is not determined either. Lonnie [Chisenhall] has a broken arm. The guys that are here right now are fine and doing what they can, but we expect more.”
They may expect it, but they weren’t willing to pay for it previously, which is how they wound up with bargain-basement players Casey Kotchman, Johnny Damon, Shelley Duncan and Jose Lopez getting a bunch of at-bats this year.
At least the Indians will finally be out from under Travis Hafner‘s contract this winter. Hafner is still pretty productive when he plays, but since he can’t even stay healthy as a DH, the Indians might not want him back even at a huge paycut. The Indians will also likely move on from Grady Sizemore now that they have Michael Brantley established in center field.
It should give them a fair amount of money to play with as they address their lineup. Considering that they’re completely set up middle with Brantley, Asdrubal Cabrera, Jason Kipnis and Carlos Santana and they’ll still have Shin-Soo Choo in right for another year, they should have the ability to put together a much improved lineup without having to completely revamp the budget.
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 11
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 35
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)