Aug 16, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com shared an interesting scene from the Diamondbacks clubhouse, where manager Kirk Gibson learned about Melky Cabrera‘s suspension for testosterone and told reporters that the Giants outfielder got off easy with a 50-game ban:
He’s had a huge impact against us. My understanding is he admitted to taking it and knew what he took and that’s just not right. If you do something like that, in my mind, it should be much more severe. Part of me says that, enough already. We’ve made a commitment to stopping that kind of activity and we still from time to time find that people are still trying to fool the system.
Maybe they should consider a much stricter penalty. It’s just bull. I would say the majority of the people who are in this game care about the integrity of the game. We’re all committed to that and cleaning it up. Obviously there’s not a big enough deterrent if it continues so I think the penalty needs to be much more severe.
Gibson told Gilbert that he’d be in favor of a one-year suspension, followed by a lifetime ban for a second positive test.
And he’s right about Cabrera having “a huge impact against us.” He hit .452 with two homers and three doubles in eight games versus Arizona this season. Oh, and Cabrera’s second-place team is five games ahead of Gibson’s third-place team in the NL West standings.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)