Aug 16, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com shared an interesting scene from the Diamondbacks clubhouse, where manager Kirk Gibson learned about Melky Cabrera‘s suspension for testosterone and told reporters that the Giants outfielder got off easy with a 50-game ban:
He’s had a huge impact against us. My understanding is he admitted to taking it and knew what he took and that’s just not right. If you do something like that, in my mind, it should be much more severe. Part of me says that, enough already. We’ve made a commitment to stopping that kind of activity and we still from time to time find that people are still trying to fool the system.
Maybe they should consider a much stricter penalty. It’s just bull. I would say the majority of the people who are in this game care about the integrity of the game. We’re all committed to that and cleaning it up. Obviously there’s not a big enough deterrent if it continues so I think the penalty needs to be much more severe.
Gibson told Gilbert that he’d be in favor of a one-year suspension, followed by a lifetime ban for a second positive test.
And he’s right about Cabrera having “a huge impact against us.” He hit .452 with two homers and three doubles in eight games versus Arizona this season. Oh, and Cabrera’s second-place team is five games ahead of Gibson’s third-place team in the NL West standings.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)