Man dies at Rogers Centre during Blue Jays game

Aug 16, 2012, 11:29 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Toronto Blue Jays Getty Images

Thursday’s game between the White Sox and Blue Jays was delayed after a fan went into cardiac arrest down the left-field line at Rogers Centre. He was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

According to “the man in white,” who was tweeting from the game, a fan performed CPR on the ailing man first and then medics took over after reaching his location. Medics continued to perform CPR as he was carted off the field, and the game resumed after he was taken off. City-TV reported after the game that he died in the hospital.

The White Sox were on the field before the game was delayed.

“It was not a good sight,” White Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis said afterwards. “I saw some medics jump out around the dugout and run over. Then I saw a doctor or whoever was going, just pushing on the chest over and over and over. I thought maybe they were reviving him and then they next thing you know, they kept going and going.”

The identity of the man has yet to be released.

1. titknocker - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM

My condolences to his friends & family. May he rest in the sweetest of peace.

• raybrower - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Yeah, what titknocker said.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I’m laughing pretty hard right now. Such a poignant and sincere statement authored by a guy named “TitKnocker”

• pw38 - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM

How the hell are people thumbs downing this?

2. randygnyc - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Calling Cur and Proudly………. Hello? Are you there???

• ajcardsfan - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Yes, all Canadians know everybody in their country (late night sarcasm)

• cur68 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Hi Randy. I had no idea bout any of this. I am in a crunch with my thesis and working overtime on it. Barely saw any of the game and missed this entirely.

This is a tragedy. All of those people who tried to help, well a Tip Of The Blue Jays Cap to you. You did the best you could. Cardiac fibrillation is on of those things: with a de-fib machine you can do something to help. CPR is all well and good (gives the pink breathing people something to do till the de-fib gets there), but one really needs an AED (Artificial External Defibrillator). Its useless for pulseless asystole though (when the heart stops altogether). For that you need an emergency room, drugs and a team with some skill.

I have no idea what went on with this poor man. Another baseball fan gone away. A Blue Jay fan down. Damn. I’m real sorry to see that this happened.

• mcs7584 - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:14 AM

This may come across as criticism but isn’t mean to be. Rather, a point o clarification: Chest compressions circulate still-oxygenated blood to the brain in the absence of a heartbeat. While you may not get ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation) with compressions alone, it isn’t just “something to do” until a code team arrives. If compressions aren’t started within 10 seconds of cardiac event, the brain has already started to become hypoxic. So don’t be so quick to write-off CPR as it is every bit as important as delivering shocks or administering drugs.

• mcs7584 - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

(I did not give you a thumbs down.)

• cur68 - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM

No worries. You are of course, correct. Its just that the majority of people don’t compress properly whereas its hard to screw up using an AED.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:10 AM

I went to bed after the game Randy. I had no inkling that Matthew would post the story. Matthew mentioned the “man in white”. That person is now working for the White Sox.

• cur68 - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

There you are. Good. Do your cardio.

3. napoleonblownapart6887 - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Condolences to his family, may he rest in peace.

It may seem trivial at this point in time, but I genuinely hope that he was a huge Blue Jays/baseball fan. We should all be so lucky as to leave this world and enter the next being a part of something we love.

4. randygnyc - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

AJ-just looking for them to answer the bell, that’s all.

• cur68 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I think PC’s ok, too. His last comment was at 9:38 PM over on the Lawrie thread. Frankly I’ll be kind of worrying about him till I see him post something again. That’s the thing about communities like ours: no real idea what happens to people when they stop posting. We haven’t heard anything from a Mets regular named BC in quite a while now. Over a year. It is a worry. If something happens to one of us in the real world, how is anyone to know? Thanks for the concern though, Randy. You Yankee Guys are like Vader: you aren’t all bad.

• Reflex - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Good point, I hadn’t noticed BC was gone. I figured he stopped posting when the Mets were permitted to be held by the Wilpon’s.

5. papalurchdxb - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Is to too soon to ask if the guy was a potential Jays pitcher?

• dondada10 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Where as you’ve fulfilled your potential as a worthless, internet jerk-off.

• papalurchdxb - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:28 AM

don’t criticise who you don’t know, a**hole. oversensitive American tw@

• shaggytoodle - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Who would wanna know “that guy”.

• delawarephilliesfan - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

@pap Okay, I am not criticizing you. I’ll give you the opportunity to expand on where the humor is in this. Or, if it is not humorless, and you are simply trying to do somethign else, then please let us know what we are missing

• sabatimus - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Is it too soon to ask if you’re a fuckwit?

• berbes - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM

show us on the doll where mommy touched you, douchebag.

• mrmafaka - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Americans might be over sensitive, but at least we aren’t Canadian.

6. cheers4ablumpkin - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM

That’s crazy

7. randygnyc - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I had my 2nd heart attack in 2004. 5 stents later and I’m happy to be alive. Very hard for the family.

• yahmule - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM

You’ve been through a lot, Randy. My father dealt with heart disease for almost 30 years. Several episodes and surgeries. I’ve never seen a higher pain threshold or ability to endure hardship with a positive attitude. I wish you all the best.

8. randygnyc - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I’m a little startled that my original comment wasnt taken in the spirit it was made. I was concerned about the 2 jays fans I’ve had some interaction with and found them to both be intelligent and sincere, the 2 most important qualities with Internet interaction, IMO. Glad to hear from you Cur. Waiting on proudly.

• professormaddog31 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Sadly Internet culture makes us think that it’s troll first, ask questions later. But I gotta say, HBT is one of the more respectful sites I’ve been on. I thought it was nice that you were concerned. It puts a point in the “humanity doesn’t suck too bad” column for the day.

9. bearsstillsuck - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Poor man died of boredom.

10. jaysfan64 - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Watched the delay on TV – that’s the second such incident there this season (the first man was revived, fortunately)… my sincere condolences to his loved ones…

11. virusgvr - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Hopefully he wasn’t the same guy who won the Powerball lottery ticket.

12. haterhurter937 - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:17 AM

to every comedian leaving stupid comments-karma will get your scared to make a comment to anyones face thats why you do it on message boards ass.

13. stlouis1baseball - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Terrible. My condolences to his family and friends.

14. jaysjunkie - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Man, what a sad thing. I’d seen about half the game and then PVR’ed the rest and then read about this on here. Kudos to Sportsnet (the Jays’ broadcaster) for not directly showing any of what was happening our of respect for the victim. I’m sure some viewers were pissed that they weren’t able to rubberneck, but I’m totally okay with the brief reaction shots from some of the players they showed before breaking for the delay. Announcer Buck Martinez mentioned when they finally stopped play that (to paraphrase) something had been going on for awhile and that Youkilis was clearly distracted by it.

• professormaddog31 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM

That’s rough. No one goes to a ball game expecting to see someone die in front of them. I remember earlier this year one of the grounds crew for the Brewers died in the middle of the game. It makes things seem kind of surreal after a while. It’s got to be difficult to keep your head in the game after something like that.

15. phillyphan83 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Its hard to mess up using an AED??? I’m a firefighter and that was a DANGEROUSLY incorrect statement. Have you ever used one? Ever been trained on using one?? Do you know how many different models there are and how differently they all operate?? I didnt think so. By comparison, you can teach a 10 year old CPR.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Philly: Cur most certainly knows how to use when. He is in the medical field of some sort.

16. stlouis1baseball - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Edit Function: “when” = “one”

17. 2ndaryinsanity - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Every once in awhile, I still get shocked by: cruel, sick, twisted, mean-spirited, inappropriate, and idiotic comments found on various message boards. This is one of those times. To all of those who made such comments, “shame on you!” The man that died has friends and family who are grieving. Try using your pea-sized brains to imagine how it would feel if YOU were mourning the loss of a loved one and read trash like what you have posted here.

18. avietar - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM

It’s Canada; at least the man’s grieving family won’t be getting a bill for medical services (which you certainly can’t say for the “compassionate” U.S.).

• mrmafaka - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Its Canada, that is reason enough to want to die.

• jaysjunkie - Aug 18, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Are you dirtyharry’s brother? You’re about as intelligent.

19. 2ndaryinsanity - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Seriously? More jokes? Looks like there are American AND Canadian jerks out and about.

20. 2ndaryinsanity - Aug 18, 2012 at 7:35 AM

junkie….was your comment directed at me? If so, please elaborate.

21. jaysjunkie - Aug 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Of course not. I thought the fact my post was in reply to mrmafaka’s idiotic shot at Canada was pretty clear. I actually gave your 4:10 pm post a thumbs up.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto