Aug 16, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Logan Morrison is officially done for the season, as the Marlins transferred him to the 60-day disabled list today to clear 40-man roster space for Gil Velazquez’s call-up.
Last week Morrison was said to be “doubtful” to play again this year because of a knee injury that may eventually require surgery. For now he’ll try to rest the injury for a few weeks and see how he feels, according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com.
Morrison had a very strong half-season debut in 2010, hitting .283 with an .837 OPS in 62 games as a 22-year-old, but his OPS dropped to .797 OPS last season and fell even further to .707 this year. Carlos Lee is an impending free agent, so there’s some speculation that the Marlins will shift Morrison from left field to first base in an attempt to save his legs.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 10
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)