Aug 16, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Logan Morrison is officially done for the season, as the Marlins transferred him to the 60-day disabled list today to clear 40-man roster space for Gil Velazquez’s call-up.
Last week Morrison was said to be “doubtful” to play again this year because of a knee injury that may eventually require surgery. For now he’ll try to rest the injury for a few weeks and see how he feels, according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com.
Morrison had a very strong half-season debut in 2010, hitting .283 with an .837 OPS in 62 games as a 22-year-old, but his OPS dropped to .797 OPS last season and fell even further to .707 this year. Carlos Lee is an impending free agent, so there’s some speculation that the Marlins will shift Morrison from left field to first base in an attempt to save his legs.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)