Aug 16, 2012, 2:44 PM EST
Logan Morrison is officially done for the season, as the Marlins transferred him to the 60-day disabled list today to clear 40-man roster space for Gil Velazquez’s call-up.
Last week Morrison was said to be “doubtful” to play again this year because of a knee injury that may eventually require surgery. For now he’ll try to rest the injury for a few weeks and see how he feels, according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com.
Morrison had a very strong half-season debut in 2010, hitting .283 with an .837 OPS in 62 games as a 22-year-old, but his OPS dropped to .797 OPS last season and fell even further to .707 this year. Carlos Lee is an impending free agent, so there’s some speculation that the Marlins will shift Morrison from left field to first base in an attempt to save his legs.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)