Aug 16, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Logan Morrison is officially done for the season, as the Marlins transferred him to the 60-day disabled list today to clear 40-man roster space for Gil Velazquez’s call-up.
Last week Morrison was said to be “doubtful” to play again this year because of a knee injury that may eventually require surgery. For now he’ll try to rest the injury for a few weeks and see how he feels, according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com.
Morrison had a very strong half-season debut in 2010, hitting .283 with an .837 OPS in 62 games as a 22-year-old, but his OPS dropped to .797 OPS last season and fell even further to .707 this year. Carlos Lee is an impending free agent, so there’s some speculation that the Marlins will shift Morrison from left field to first base in an attempt to save his legs.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (92)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)