Aug 16, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Logan Morrison is officially done for the season, as the Marlins transferred him to the 60-day disabled list today to clear 40-man roster space for Gil Velazquez’s call-up.
Last week Morrison was said to be “doubtful” to play again this year because of a knee injury that may eventually require surgery. For now he’ll try to rest the injury for a few weeks and see how he feels, according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com.
Morrison had a very strong half-season debut in 2010, hitting .283 with an .837 OPS in 62 games as a 22-year-old, but his OPS dropped to .797 OPS last season and fell even further to .707 this year. Carlos Lee is an impending free agent, so there’s some speculation that the Marlins will shift Morrison from left field to first base in an attempt to save his legs.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)