NBC SportsTalk: Why Melky admitted it

Aug 16, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT

For those of you who, for some strange reason, don’t watch NBC SportsTalk over dinner with your family each evening, here’s me on it last night talking with Eric Kuselias about why Melky Cabrera might have admitted that he took testosterone as opposed to dissembling about mixups, poor labeling, conspiracies and circumstance:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

1. willclarkgameface - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I love it when lawyers talk about sports.

Puke.

• nineroutsider - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Speaking of puke, every time I see his face or read his name in a headline I want to puke. He let the fans, his teammates, and the entire organization down. We aren’t down yet though!

On the bright side, thanks for not signing a big fat multi-year deal. You now have to resign with the Giants next year on a 2-3 mil one year deal and prove yourself all over again. See how I forgave him already? That’s because I’m about to watch 2 months (and hopefully more) of Gregor Blanco…

• artthoumad - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM

who’s to say that hes going to hit the same way he did this year? He may even become a offensive liability like Blanco. What iI’m more interested about is how long he’s been using PEDs. His numbers last year may be a result of doping then too.

• Lukehart80 - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

When you say he “let the fans, his teammates, and the entire organization down,” do you mean by using whatever he was using, or by getting caught?

If you think whatever he used made a big, big difference, than you should be glad he was doing it, because the Giants would be 4 or 5 games further back without his production this year and it’s not as though his suspension is going to remove those wins from the standings.

The only reason to feel let down about him using is if you don’t think they made much of a difference and now he’s out for the year for no good reason.

• cur68 - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM

psst, Willclark: the bald guy in that video? That’s the guy who wrote this article. True fact. So, uh, this here blog of his…”Hard Boston Ball Talk”? Its pretty much all lawyer-speaksports. Just a heads up to save you your lunch.

• harrysatchel - Aug 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM

If I had to choose between lawyer ran sites, I would choose this one over PFT. There are too many meatheads on that site.

• nineroutsider - Aug 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I think it’s fairly useless to speculate on the degree to which it helped Melky; therefore, I’m let down that he put himself and the team in this position. It’s mental masturbation to sit around and speculate on how much we should discount his stats based on the fact that he was doping. The difference could be huge or minute, that’s why he has to resign for much less than he would have a few days ago and prove himself to all of us again. He will get that chance and I hope the Giants are the team offer it to him.

2. Ralph - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Uh, then you’re in the wrong place.

3. anotheryx - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM

WTF I was bored waiting for ad so was reading another page, and then when I paid attention the video was over so now I have to watch the ad again.

GJ!

• zzalapski - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

That’s a First World problem if I ever saw one.

• bigleagues - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Zarley Zalapski?!

Long Live THE WHALE!

• ltzep75 - Aug 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Why yes, I did just post the youtube link to Brass Bonanza.

4. artthoumad - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM

The Giants pretty much became the same team they were last year, as Craig said it, “Punchless”. The LAD have a playmaker in Kemp and I dont think SF can hang with them.

5. mybrunoblog - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I’m already tired if people applauding Cabrera for admitting he was wrong. Wtf? Like he is supposed to deny it? Our society is getting a bit twisted if we congratulate someone for doing the right thing.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 16, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Sadly Bruno…that is exactly where we are. To the point now that a recovering drug addict is almost held in higher esteem (for getting hooked on drugs trying to overcome it) than a person who never became a drug addict to begin with.

• bdvlad - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

“And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.

And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.

It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.”

6. tmohr - Aug 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Melkington Q. Cabrera is a standup guy.

7. zacksdad - Aug 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I like that he admitted it and did not fight it. But I wonder if he did not fight it because if he delayed the suspension, it could go more into next year and be hard to get a decent contract. So he probably decided to let himself get suspended as soon as possible and screw the rest of the season for the Giants.

Just my quick thoughts.

8. phillyphan83 - Aug 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I’m genuinely shocked to learn the “bloggers” that write the content of this site are lawyers. I wouldn’t expect so many grammatical errors from such intelligent people. Then again, if you were all good lawyers, you would be nbcsportstalk bloggers now, would you? :-)

9. delawarephilliesfan - Aug 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM

“The real takeaway here: there are very, very few NBC Sports employees who are not attorneys.”

Yea…..the “Ryan Braun is the greatest victim of our times” articles made it clear you are an attorney

10. giantssb42champs - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

At least he admitted it, unlike the frauds Braun, Ortiz and Manny. I’m not applauding him, I’m just saying he’s taking it like a man.

11. johngaltx - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Punishment should be that all the games (wins) that the drug using player participated in shall be deemed losses. If the owners and players are really serious about ridding the game of drug users, then put some real punishment in the rules. It appears the owners are only mad when the drug users get caught, yet the Giants will still sit at or near the top of the standings even though they used a player that cheated.

12. mgflolox - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I’ve been watching Melky pretty much all year, and if you look closely at the games and at the stats, you’ll note that despite the .350 BA, he’s been pretty much the same player he’s always been – a .280-.310 hitter with middling power and on-base skills. His isolated power and walk rate are right around his career norm, he’s just having a bunch of balls falling in this year, it happens sometimes. I wouldn’t bet on it to last, with or without PEDs.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3196)