Aug 16, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Wilson Betemit has been a useful cog in the bottom half of the Baltimore order this year, but the Orioles will have to do without him for the foreseeable future after he was diagnosed with torn cartilage and a bone bruise in his right wrist.
He was placed on the DL retroactive to Aug. 12 and replaced by first baseman Joe Mahoney on the roster. Betemit was hitting .264/.327/.429 with 12 homers and 37 RBI in 329 at-bats this season. As usual, the switch-hitter was doing much better against righties (.306/.363/.510) than lefties (.143/.223/.190).
Fortunately, with Manny Machado up and off to a fantastic start, Betemit looks a little more expendable that he would have a few weeks ago. Machado had already replaced him at third base, with Betemit recently getting his starts at first base and DH. Nate McLouth figures to take a lot of Betemit’s at-bats, with Chris Davis spending more time at DH.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)