Aug 16, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Wilson Betemit has been a useful cog in the bottom half of the Baltimore order this year, but the Orioles will have to do without him for the foreseeable future after he was diagnosed with torn cartilage and a bone bruise in his right wrist.
He was placed on the DL retroactive to Aug. 12 and replaced by first baseman Joe Mahoney on the roster. Betemit was hitting .264/.327/.429 with 12 homers and 37 RBI in 329 at-bats this season. As usual, the switch-hitter was doing much better against righties (.306/.363/.510) than lefties (.143/.223/.190).
Fortunately, with Manny Machado up and off to a fantastic start, Betemit looks a little more expendable that he would have a few weeks ago. Machado had already replaced him at third base, with Betemit recently getting his starts at first base and DH. Nate McLouth figures to take a lot of Betemit’s at-bats, with Chris Davis spending more time at DH.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)