Aug 16, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
To determine the draft order for their fantasy football league Orioles players bought Maryland blue crabs, assigned one to each team, and raced them through a tunnel in Camden Yards.
Jim and I were trying to think of something creative because everybody just does the blind draw. And we wanted to do something big. We were going to do snails, but crabs just seemed better to us. It seemed more apropos. It was more exciting than any other draft order.
Chris Davis‘ crab won the race, giving him the first pick in the draft. And then the Orioles turned all 12 racers into crab dip.
As for who Davis is going to select with the No. 1 pick … he’s not sure. Which makes me think he ought to get the Rotoworld online draft guide and do a little research like I did before my draft this week.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 10
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 31
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 122
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)