Aug 16, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
To determine the draft order for their fantasy football league Orioles players bought Maryland blue crabs, assigned one to each team, and raced them through a tunnel in Camden Yards.
Jim and I were trying to think of something creative because everybody just does the blind draw. And we wanted to do something big. We were going to do snails, but crabs just seemed better to us. It seemed more apropos. It was more exciting than any other draft order.
Chris Davis‘ crab won the race, giving him the first pick in the draft. And then the Orioles turned all 12 racers into crab dip.
As for who Davis is going to select with the No. 1 pick … he’s not sure. Which makes me think he ought to get the Rotoworld online draft guide and do a little research like I did before my draft this week.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 47
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 31
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)