Settling the Score: Wednesday’s results

Aug 16, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v Seattle Mariners Getty Images

Yes, it’s a copout doing a Settling the Score instead of an And That Happened on a weekday. But (a) I was out late cruising the mean streets of Stamford, Connecticut, living to the fullest, sucking the marrow out of life and blah, blah blah last night; (b)  I’m travelling this morning and, as you read this, I’m being felt up by Homeland Security and stuff; and (c) nothing can top the stuff we already wrote about King Felix’s perfect game, so it’s all good.

Anyway: I’ll be back at the fortified compound by lunchtime today, so until then talk amongst yourselves about last night’s scores.  If you really miss ATH, put a cheap movie reference and some quasi-geeky Batman/Battlestar Galactica snark in the comments to make it seem like I never left you.

Mariners 1, Rays 0
Cubs 7, Astros 2
Angels 8, Indians 4

1. rockthered1286 - Aug 16, 2012 at 6:13 AM

How bout dem O’s hon??

That is all.

• aodonne3 - Aug 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

How about dem O’s still not being able to put fans in the seats after finally being relevant in baseball again.

2. rickyspanish - Aug 16, 2012 at 6:28 AM

ATH, Around the Horn?

• kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I think you might set a record for thumbs down.

• wlschneider09 - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Single post perhaps. The career records for thumbs down must be astronomical by this point. I wonder who holds it? ‘Cepts?

• kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM

There are many categories, so it’s tough to say. Cept’s was pretty much the Rickey Henderson of Stolen Base records. If he doesn’t actually hold it, hes pretty freaking close.

• Ben - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM

‘Cepts for banned posters, randygnyc for active posters. Would be my guess.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yeah really Kiwi. When I read his post the first thing I did was try to guess how many he will receive. My guess is 125 (not a record of course). But still a shitpot full of thumbs down.
        So where we at people? Over and Under on the thumbs down (I set it at 125).

• cur68 - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Might as well get this out of the way too, eh? “Hey ricky! You must be new here.”

• rickyspanish - Aug 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Holy smokes! I don’t know what I did to get poo pooed so hard, I wasn’t trying to be offensive. Sorry y’all, I’ll take my ignorance and be on my way.

3. proudlycanadian - Aug 16, 2012 at 6:58 AM

ESPN’s “man in white” is now working for the White Sox.

4. kkolchak - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Nats: 8-2 record on their just concluded road trip, overall road record of 41-23. Team record of 28-11 since July 1st.

Oh, and Ian Desmond returns to the lineup on Friday. :)

5. yankeesfanlen - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Freddie Garcia finds he can’t make the Electrified Fooling Machine work on Josh Hamilton, but it does on everyone else. Then Soriano fixes it in the ninth.
    Sweep this afernoon if Nova gets it running.

• kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I just can’t understand how hitters can’t pummel that slow dross he leeches out. I give the guy credit, actually.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Movement > velocity. Garcia also throws a pitch that defies the law of physics. See this video*, the ball would normally break down and to the right, but it breaks down and to the left. The video is uploaded by physicist Alan Nathan (poboy on twitter).

6. number42is1 - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:43 AM

these damn Yankees are gonna give me a friggin heart attack with these warm/cold streaks. its been a week any they are still in the same place they were this time last week. they say if you ain’t moving forward you’re moving backwards….. I suppose that’s not true in baseball.

• umrguy42 - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I noticed that when I went to an IMAX screening of Tron Legacy (yeah, ok, nerd alert, deal with it ;p) – the theater advertised “12,000 watts of sound!” and I was left going “I think they only needed 10,000 at most, jeez…”

• umrguy42 - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Gah, that was supposed to be in response to biffnasty below, sorry. Wrong “reply” button :p

• kopy - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I was getting real excited to see how you were going to tie the Yankees’ consistency in with Tron Legacy.

• umrguy42 - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:48 AM

kopy, it start with a track by Daft Punk called “Son of George”, and ends with Joe Girardi making peace with the ghost of Steinbrenner. Or something. :D

• umrguy42 - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM

*starts

EDIT FUNCTION!

• captainmcallister - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM

The best part of Tron: Legacy was the soundtrack. 12,000 watts was just barely enough to drown out how bad the movie was.

7. biffnasty - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I have now seen the Dark Knight Rises 3x now( I know A little much, but my girlfriend doesn’t seem to mind), and the last time was in IMAX which raised the ticket price for 2 to $32. Here’s my feelings on IMAX , the picture isn’t noticeably much better. I think they just raise the volume to much higher levels in hopes that it will fool movie goers into thinking IMAX is some crazy better movie experience

• someguyinva - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I’ve only seen it once, in a non-IMAX setting, but I’ve been wondering…

There were times during the movie when the musical score would increase in volume (chase scenes, fight scenes, anything dramatic) and the dialogue would get lost in the noise as a result.

Did I just have a crappy viewing experience, or is the sound mix on that film really bad?

• umrguy42 - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Given a trend lately for LOUD ACTION SEQUENCES and really quiet dialogue, it’s entirely probable.

• captainmcallister - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I’ve seen the movie twice, both times in IMAX. I think the sound mix was fine, but I did find myself struggling to understand what the hell Bane was saying half the time. Even at 12,000 watts of ear bleeding sound, he still sounded like a muffled Bill Cosby most of the time. “…then you have my permission to eat a jell-O puddin’ pop!”

• umrguy42 - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Bill Cosby? Nah, he was totally “Sean Connery” on the SNL Celebrity Jeopardy! sketches :)

8. rockthered1286 - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Note to the BoSox: if you can’t knock our starter out of the game and you get into our BP down a few runs, just go ahead and throw in the towel.

One of the best in the bigs right now, no denying that. Strop-Johnson are the best 1-2 punch to close out a game, and they’re complimented by O’Day, Lindstrom, Romero, Patton amongst other floaters between AAA and the bigs. Unbeaten when leading after the 7th. 12 straight wins in extras. Real deal folks.

• kiwicricket - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Bold statements! I like it.
      The entire Atlanta bullpen has a combined ERA of around .8 over the past month. Not bad either.

• southpaw2k - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM

The only real weak spot in the bullpen is Kevin Gregg, who even in middle relief seems content to doing some kind of stand-up comedy version of pitching.

9. biffnasty - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Here’s the thing with the *thumbs down* nobody really cares especially those who frequent this site from an iPad,droid, iPod can’t even see these *thumbs up and thumbs down* you speak of

• sportsdrenched.com - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:41 AM

That’s your problem, not ours.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM

My ‘droid is able to see the up/down perfectly fine. Stop using the app and just access the page via your browser.

10. bsbiz - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I think at this point, the only thing that could make watching a Houston/Chicago series tolerable is a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster and an appointment with Eccentrica Gallumbits.

• cur68 - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM

There are 42 recipes for the PGGB. True fact.

11. stex52 - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Yesterday the Astros played an outfield with an OPS of .636 and a starting pitcher with an ERA of 5.4. There aren’t enough gargle blasters in the universe. Douglas Adams couldn’t imagine a solution for this one.

12. uyf1950 - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

How about them Yankees all they do is keep on winning, and Eric Chavez is the beast of the East.

13. thatyankeedude - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Yessir them yankees gotta keep doing there thing. I can’t believe that they have taken the first 3 from a very good Texas team!

14. APBA Guy - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I was in San Diego on business yesterday-I realize how that sounds implausible-but I did have time to notice the beloved A’s only managed to scratch out 2 runs in two games against the Royals. Fatigue, injuries, and regression are not friends of the small payroll teams.

By the way, Petco was open while the crew was setting up for some corporate dinner. Such a beautiful stadium (yes, I am comparing it to the Mausoleum, not to AT&T). I stood out in the left field stands, by “the beach” and tried to imagine Cespedes going back on a long fly ball. Unfortunately, I imagined him getting there a step late and having the ball rebound off the wall past him for a triple. The intrusion of reality is not always welcome.

• Old Gator - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Dammit, there’s a great sushi bar on the beach in San Diego – on Mission Boulevard – called Saska. Give it a try. Easygoing, informal, all sorts of great, imaginative rolls, ultra-fresh fish. Love da place.

15. Old Gator - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM

How the Feesh beat Doc Halliday yesterday when they haven’t been able to get a ball out of the infield against lesser peetchers is beyond me. But at least Buehrle hung in there long enough for his mates to get into the Feelies boolpen and put some daylight between the run totals. The Rainbow Warriors went 30 inning without scoring a run, three shy of this season’s record, which I guess is a good thing. They head out to confront the Rocky Mountain Oysters and their seething manager, Kirk Gibson, who has it in for Milky Cabrera at the moment but will probably wind up demanding urine samples from the entire Feesh squad after a couple of games. This lineup has shown evidence of the use of PDD’s (Performance Degrading Drugs) all season. Does MLB test for seconal?

16. hushbrother - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Any significance to being in Bobby Valentine’s home town?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto