Aug 16, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
Josh Reddick has slumped of late, hitting .134 in his last 15 games, and the A’s outfielder missed yesterday’s game after having a tooth extracted earlier this week.
Vinnie Duber of MLB.com notes that Reddick “has been dealing with the oral issue all season, which has forced him to wear a mouthguard.” And finally this week it became too much, as Reddick explained:
I had to go get it checked out because the pain was pretty bad. The dentist said it wasn’t healing right and the blood wasn’t forming like it should be. We had to go in there and re-clean it out, and I had to numb it up again and put another temporary thing in there that’s going to eventually dissolve, and hopefully keep the pain away.
Duber reports that Reddick used Monday’s off day to fly to his home in Georgia so he could be examined by his own dentist. And despite how unpleasant that all sounds, he’s expected to be back in the lineup tonight.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)