Aug 16, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
Josh Reddick has slumped of late, hitting .134 in his last 15 games, and the A’s outfielder missed yesterday’s game after having a tooth extracted earlier this week.
Vinnie Duber of MLB.com notes that Reddick “has been dealing with the oral issue all season, which has forced him to wear a mouthguard.” And finally this week it became too much, as Reddick explained:
I had to go get it checked out because the pain was pretty bad. The dentist said it wasn’t healing right and the blood wasn’t forming like it should be. We had to go in there and re-clean it out, and I had to numb it up again and put another temporary thing in there that’s going to eventually dissolve, and hopefully keep the pain away.
Duber reports that Reddick used Monday’s off day to fly to his home in Georgia so he could be examined by his own dentist. And despite how unpleasant that all sounds, he’s expected to be back in the lineup tonight.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)