Aug 16, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
I swear on a stack of Bibles that yesterday, while I was hanging around the NBC Sports Network studio watching Felix Hernandez polish off his perfect game, I said aloud that a New York paper was guaranteed to run the classic “the Yankees need to acquire King Felix” story today. I said that I’d bet my life on it.
Extra bonus points for the “if the Boss was still alive …” angle, which means that this article combines two of the tabloids’ favorite tropes: (1) treating other teams as de facto members of the Yankees farm system; and (2) Boss deification.
Well played, Mr. Harper. Well played.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)