Aug 16, 2012, 3:23 PM EST
I swear on a stack of Bibles that yesterday, while I was hanging around the NBC Sports Network studio watching Felix Hernandez polish off his perfect game, I said aloud that a New York paper was guaranteed to run the classic “the Yankees need to acquire King Felix” story today. I said that I’d bet my life on it.
Extra bonus points for the “if the Boss was still alive …” angle, which means that this article combines two of the tabloids’ favorite tropes: (1) treating other teams as de facto members of the Yankees farm system; and (2) Boss deification.
Well played, Mr. Harper. Well played.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 20
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 29
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)