Aug 16, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has a story this morning, the upshot of which is that everyone on the Red Sox is concerned about who leaked the stuff to Jeff Passan for his explosive report the other day:
“It’s a shame that someone would do that and spread wrong information,” Valentine said. “It hurts our team. If you really care about our team, why would you do something like that, no matter what your agenda is?”
Said a prominent Red Sox player, “If I knew it was one of my teammates, we’d have a big problem. A big problem.
“We’re supposed to be together. We’re supposed to be in this together. To spread gossip like that about important players on this team who have been falsely accused is just horrible. That person should be ashamed of himself.”
Others, like David Ortiz, talk about how it can’t possibly be a player who talked and suggest, again sort of obliquely, that the story is baloney.
Thing is, the stuff that was leaked — stuff about player problems with Valentine, comments Valentine made during the game in the dugout and things of that nature — almost certainly did come from a player. No one else was in a position to know and talk about such things.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)