Aug 16, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has a story this morning, the upshot of which is that everyone on the Red Sox is concerned about who leaked the stuff to Jeff Passan for his explosive report the other day:
“It’s a shame that someone would do that and spread wrong information,” Valentine said. “It hurts our team. If you really care about our team, why would you do something like that, no matter what your agenda is?”
Said a prominent Red Sox player, “If I knew it was one of my teammates, we’d have a big problem. A big problem.
“We’re supposed to be together. We’re supposed to be in this together. To spread gossip like that about important players on this team who have been falsely accused is just horrible. That person should be ashamed of himself.”
Others, like David Ortiz, talk about how it can’t possibly be a player who talked and suggest, again sort of obliquely, that the story is baloney.
Thing is, the stuff that was leaked — stuff about player problems with Valentine, comments Valentine made during the game in the dugout and things of that nature — almost certainly did come from a player. No one else was in a position to know and talk about such things.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 65
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)