Aug 17, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Jimmy Rollins’ lack of hustle, that is, not Cholly’s. Cholly is sneaky-fast:
Manuel chastised Rollins for not running out a ground ball in the sixth inning of Wednesday’s 9-2 loss in Miami.
“We have two rules: Hustle and be on time,” Manuel said later. “That’s all I have to say. This is between Jimmy and me.”
Manuel said he thought about benching Rollins for Thursday night’s game but decided against it because he believed the meeting was productive.
I’m gonna guess that the meeting ended with Manuel saying something like “get me? or “so, we jake?”
More seriously: a player not running out a ground ball in the closing stages of a profoundly disappointing season is the sort of thing the newspaper and talk radio guys go crazy on, so you sort of have to make a point to look like you’re addressing thing, but a couple of things are worth considering: (1) there are probably several instances a week in which a player on any team doesn’t run out a ground ball; and (2) a veteran who has a history of leg injuries is someone you probably don’t mind taking it easy once in a while, especially in a game that is out of hand.
Not that that will change anything. When it comes to the politics of hustle, the “it’s ok not to run everything out” position is going to lose every single time.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)