Aug 17, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
Jimmy Rollins’ lack of hustle, that is, not Cholly’s. Cholly is sneaky-fast:
Manuel chastised Rollins for not running out a ground ball in the sixth inning of Wednesday’s 9-2 loss in Miami.
“We have two rules: Hustle and be on time,” Manuel said later. “That’s all I have to say. This is between Jimmy and me.”
Manuel said he thought about benching Rollins for Thursday night’s game but decided against it because he believed the meeting was productive.
I’m gonna guess that the meeting ended with Manuel saying something like “get me? or “so, we jake?”
More seriously: a player not running out a ground ball in the closing stages of a profoundly disappointing season is the sort of thing the newspaper and talk radio guys go crazy on, so you sort of have to make a point to look like you’re addressing thing, but a couple of things are worth considering: (1) there are probably several instances a week in which a player on any team doesn’t run out a ground ball; and (2) a veteran who has a history of leg injuries is someone you probably don’t mind taking it easy once in a while, especially in a game that is out of hand.
Not that that will change anything. When it comes to the politics of hustle, the “it’s ok not to run everything out” position is going to lose every single time.
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 26
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 24
- Roy Halladay is retiring 54
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 50
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)