Aug 17, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
Jimmy Rollins’ lack of hustle, that is, not Cholly’s. Cholly is sneaky-fast:
Manuel chastised Rollins for not running out a ground ball in the sixth inning of Wednesday’s 9-2 loss in Miami.
“We have two rules: Hustle and be on time,” Manuel said later. “That’s all I have to say. This is between Jimmy and me.”
Manuel said he thought about benching Rollins for Thursday night’s game but decided against it because he believed the meeting was productive.
I’m gonna guess that the meeting ended with Manuel saying something like “get me? or “so, we jake?”
More seriously: a player not running out a ground ball in the closing stages of a profoundly disappointing season is the sort of thing the newspaper and talk radio guys go crazy on, so you sort of have to make a point to look like you’re addressing thing, but a couple of things are worth considering: (1) there are probably several instances a week in which a player on any team doesn’t run out a ground ball; and (2) a veteran who has a history of leg injuries is someone you probably don’t mind taking it easy once in a while, especially in a game that is out of hand.
Not that that will change anything. When it comes to the politics of hustle, the “it’s ok not to run everything out” position is going to lose every single time.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)