Chipper Jones is going out with a bang

Aug 17, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

You gotta go back to Will Clark, I guess, for the last time a guy had as good a final season as Chipper Jones is having. At least when he knew it was his final season beforehand.

Jones hit two homers last night — the second of which was his 2,700th career hit — passing Dave Winfield on the all-time home run list. For the season, Jones is now hitting .315/.391/.519 with 12 homers and 53 RBI at the age of 40. ¬†Obviously he doesn’t play every day due to the wonky everything, but that’s amazing production for a guy with one foot in the baseball grave.

As our D.J. Short just pointed out on Twitter, only seven players have posted a higher OPS in a single season past the age of 40 with a minimum of 300 at bats. They are: Moises Alou, Harold Baines, Ty Cobb, Stan Musial, Barry Bonds, who did it twice, and Ted Williams.

For a guy who has accomplished just about everything in baseball, it’s a nice cherry on top.

1. Mr. Jones - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Reblogged this on Sports w/ KJ.

• zzalapski - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:35 PM

So?

2. umrguy42 - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Hmm… if my Cards don’t make the postseason (or if they do and get knocked out), I could possibly root for the Braves to win it all, in a “win one (more) for the Chipper” storyline…

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I could as well 42.

• foreverchipper10 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Win One For The Chipper is my fantasy team name. :)

3. flaviusflav - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM

As one of my favorite all time players, I’m concerned that I’m going to remember him most for coining (or at least making famous) mammo and yicketty.

• professormaddog31 - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Chipper is my favorite non-pitching player ever, but when I think of him I just see that big Browning deer tattoo on his arm and start laughing. I think I’d rather have the yicketty.

4. illcomm - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM

good for chipper but he has only played in half the game this season. on another note, where r braves fans? 33k at a bobblehead night where the greatest player of the braves over the past 20 years is being honored. don’t know what’s worse, only 33k last night, of less than 33k in attendance the two games before that combined.

• bravojawja - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Did a Braves fan sleep with you and not call you in the morning? Or gave you a fake number when you tried to pick him up at a bar?

You need some serious therapy to get over your Braves hate. Or to get over yourself.

5. muir6 - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Postseason Hooters party

6. cornfedhonky - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM

A bang? What’d he do, hook up with another Hooters girl?

7. dennisund - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM

As a Phils fan, mad respect. Although I’ll still call him Larry.

• planck16 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

And we will call Roy Halladay……….Leroy and make fun of his inability to pitch in the heat.

• dennisund - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Haha yeah I remember that one game. It completely threw off his split of 2.57 ERA in day games to 2.50 ERA in night games in the past 3 years. For shame, Leroy. For shame.

• dennisund - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Also, the Braves should hold you and your bad karma responsible for Jair Jurrjens.

8. mannyicey - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

First of all, it was a Thursday. Atlanta is a business city and people were probably working. So let’s stop with the “only 33k” crap, because that number is on par or better than the rest of the league. Oh, but it goes in line with the whole “Atlanta’s fans are soooo fickle,” right? That’s why we don’t sell-out regular season games. In mid-August. Against the Padres.

Secondly, Chipper may end up being the MVP in his final year. That will be really cool.

Oh, and third, how would you rank the Top Braves of All-time?

1. Hank Aaron
    2. Chipper Jones
    3. Eddie Matthews
    4. Warren Spahn

• planck16 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Atlanta pulls from one major city and then weekend crowds from Florida, Tennessee, and North/South Carolina. Most people would have to drive an hour plus to get to the game and fight god awful traffic. Atlanta has an urban population that cheers more for the Falcons and the Hawks, hence the Thrashers went packing. I believe a survey went out last year that ranked the Braves the 3rd most popular MLB team behind the Yankees and Red Sox. I hate it when baseball people try to bash Braves fans. Mostly Northeast people who live in crowded metropolises that can pull from 3 states nightly. This is like us comparing a SEC football game to a Big East Football game.

• foreverchipper10 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM

What about a Braves fan who lives in the Northeast?

• mrwillie - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Don’t forget to add to the fact that Atlanta, like most southern metro areas, are full of displaced northerners anyways. Take the Atlanta population of 5mil plus, and you can assume close to half are not even from Atlanta. Their rooting interest lie with other teams.

Like it was said before, most of the Braves rooting interest lies outside the Atlanta metro area. It isn’t New York where millions live in a few square miles. You can live in Atlanta and still be over an hour away from the stadium.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I hear what you are saying Planck16. But my take on it is completely different.
        Atlanta is a melting pot of people (most of which have moved to the city from far away locations) A huge number natural born Atlanta residents have moved (hence Atlanta being a melting pot). As a result, you are left with a sparce ‘Atlanta Braves backing’ populace in the City of Atlanta (and surrounding locales). The flip side…you have a great number of Braves fans throughout the Country. This is precisely why you guys don’t sell well at home but sell incredibly well on the road.

• bravojawja - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM

This. Though the Thrashers left because ownership sucked, which is the same reason the Flames left. Of course, winning just one postseason game in a decade might’ve helped.

9. hushbrother - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM

He’s a boring player who non-Braves fans get sick of hearing about how wonderful he is. The best thing about him retiring is that will finally stop.

• wendell7 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM

hush, brother

• istillbelieveinblue - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM

His career numbers are hardly boring. I am a Cubs fan and I am loving following him this year.

.304 BA, .402 OBP, 466HR, 2700 hits, 1614RBI, 545 doubles.

How is he boring, again? In arguably one of the best switch hitters to ever play the game.

10. cranbery - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Have watched and loved this guy since his rookie year. I have been through the ups and downs of his life and career. There is no one I admire more! While others were doing the drug route and winning all the honors he was just being a Great Player of the Game.

I love him like a Mother (am his Mother’s age) and will truly miss him next year.

Whether I remain a Braves fan remains to be seen…….there has been a lot in the last couple of years that have left a bad taste for them with me. My loyalty as a fan right now is with Chipper.

11. illcomm - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Atlanta is a busy city. lol. so the other cities aren’t major? also, u really can’t be mvp when u only play just 76 out of 150 games.

• mannyicey - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Yes, and other cities will not pack out the stadium for a Thursday night game against the Padres in Mid-August. I mean, you probably will not get 33k in Yankees stadium on a Thursday night in mid-August against the Padres. So your premise is silly.

• bklynbaseball - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Sorry…..you cannot compare Yankee Stadium with ANY other ballpark in the majors when it comes to attendance. Whole different animal in NYC. I was at a Yankees game, early in April 2000, drizzly, rainy, raw (temp in the 40s) just miserable weather……against the then-Tampay Bay Devils Rays (just a God-awful team)…..Tuesday night game……attendance – just over 43K.

• bravojawja - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I don’t understand how the Yankees don’t sell out every game. The new stadium doesn’t seat more than, what? 50K? There are something like 22 million people in the area, many of whom can get there by train. And it’s not like those folks are gonna go to a Mets game, amiright?

12. townballblog - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Craig, you have to do more posts from his twitter… they are quality!

13. illcomm - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:38 PM

yankees haven’t gone below 36.5 k at home. so you r wrong and dumb.

• planck16 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Are you really comparing NYC to Atlanta?

• istillbelieveinblue - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Population of New York Metro: 18.9 million
      Population of Atlanta Metro: 5.2 million.

14. pkswally024 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I don’t believe the Yankees would ever be playing the Padres in mid August. You dope!

• bravojawja - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

They might next year. To paraphrase a popular HBO show/fantasy series: Interleague is coming.

15. illcomm - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM

nanny. the braves have the fifth lowest home attendance in the league. braves fans simply do not show up to the park to watch the games. it is what it is.

• jamaicanjasta - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Unless you’re specifically referring to the NL, this is totally incorrect. The Braves are in the middle of the pack (I think 16 or 17th out of 30 teams) in terms of home attendance in the MLB.

• jamaicanjasta - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM

In fact, looking at the numbers online, they have higher total attendance than the Reds, Mets, and the Nats just to name some teams in the NL. They have the 8th highest total attendance in the National League and 14th highest total attendance in the Majors.

Where did you get your numbers illcomm?

16. professormaddog31 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

If I lived closer to Atlanta I’d be there as much as possible, but alas, it would require vacation time I don’t have and connecting flights. So I’ll be saying my farewells to Chipper at Miller Park this year. It’s only a two hour drive for me.

• foreverchipper10 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I said goodbye in Philly, unless I can find someone to drive across the state for the season finale in Pittsburgh. I would take work off for that.

• professormaddog31 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Are you a transplanted Southerner like me? I grew up outside of Memphis and moved up to this God forsaken frozen wasteland because of the spousal unit. I took all my vacation this year going to England. It was worth it, but I would have liked to hit up The ATL for Chipper’s last hurrah…

• foreverchipper10 - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I am actually a born and raised up here. About 2 hours north of Philly. I have Ted Turner and TBS to thank for making me a Braves fan.

• atlsp - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Because of the Braves widespread fanbase (dating back to TBS days) there are a lot of fans saying goodbye to Chipper on the road. In fact, some Braves fans believe the reason every team is honoring Chipper during his final series in each road city is because they know Braves fans will come out in numbers to see #10.

As has also been mentioned above, even the “local” Braves fans do not generally live in the city and thus find it difficult to get to weekday games (especially once school starts back up, which it already has here). 33k was a great crowd for a Thursday night vs. the Padres.

And it’s not even his official “tribute” game – that will come on the final Friday night at home vs. the Mets and I’d bet the Braves get 50k+ with a SRO crowd for it.

• professormaddog31 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Plus you can’t discount Atlanta traffic. Seriously, some of the worst I’ve ever been in. If you have to work in, say, Alpharetta, and then drive to the park you’re going to miss half the game anyway.

17. illcomm - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM

jamacia. I am looking at home attendance only. not total attendance. look up those stats n get back to me.

• jamaicanjasta - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

It’s total home attendance, not total home+away attendance that I gave you the numbers for. You can easily look them up on ESPN.com or baseball-reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2012-misc.shtml) if you’re curious.

Again if you look at the link I provided you’ll see the numbers are correct, the first number is total home attendance, the second is average attendance:

PHI
      1,579,905 26,332
      SDP
      1,491,485 26,166
      HOU
      1,255,726 21,283

18. illcomm - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM

jamacia. I was going by percentage capacity. braves are fifth worst. it goes to the fact why the owners don’t spend more money on their players. you know the saying, “if you build it, they will come.”?, well this phrase doesn’t apply to the braves. empty seats costs the owners money.

• jamaicanjasta - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

First, I love that you’re backtracking after I showed you numbers that proved your assertion was made up. Second, the Braves have one of the largest stadiums in the Majors, seating almost 10,000 more fans than parks like Wrigley, Citi or Nationals Park so you can’t compare percentages as if they’re apples to apples.

Just admit you made a fallacious statement and move on.

19. illcomm - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM

the phillies n the red sox are the biggest draw. they have the highest overall percentage draw in both leagues.

• jamaicanjasta - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Again percentage is not always a relevant statistic for attendance as parks have differing capacities. Are you saying that a 40k means less in Park A with a capacity for 50k fans than Park B with a capacity for 43k? Because that’s basically the assertion you’re making.

20. illcomm - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM

jamacia, u didn’t understand my stat. yes. 40k in a 45 k seat stadium means more than 41k in a 50k stadium. teams make n lose monies based on capacity percentage filled. empty seats means the owners are/have done something wrong.

• mrwillie - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

You do realize that the Ted was built for the 96 Olympics right. The owners have nothing to do with it, it was built to hold close to 90,000 people. So yeah, it’s a little bigger than most.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3402)