Cubs nearing long-term extension with Starlin Castro

Aug 17, 2012, 7:00 PM EST

castro getty Getty Images

7:00 p.m. EDT update: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal believes a Starlin Castro extension could be announced early next week or sooner. It’d be a six- or seven-year contract with a club option that would buy out an extra year of free agency. As is, Castro will be eligible for FA after 2016.

///

David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com has the exclusive:

Two industry sources who have represented several MLB players over the past decade confirmed to me tonight that the Cubs are working on a long term deal for star shortstop Starlin Castro.

The deal, which could be six or more years in length, is expected to be finalized before the end of the 2012 season and would not only buy out the remaining arbitration years that Castro has, but at least two years of free agency which he will reach after the 2016 season.

Castro has battled concentration issues, but the 22-year-old Dominican shortstop is the youngest player in franchise history to top 200 hits in a season (he finished with 207 in 2011) and continues to flash improving power potential. It’s hard to see this as anything but a positive for the rebuilding Northsiders.

Castro is batting .276/.307/.422 with 12 home runs and 58 RBI through 116 games played this season. As it stands currently, he will be eligible forĀ arbitrationĀ this winter for the first time in his career.

1. dondada10 - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

No way I commit to Castro long-term. “Concentration issues” now are gonna turn into conditioning issues down the road.

• Alex K - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM

You can see into the future and know how a 22 year old is going to act when he’s 28?

• dondada10 - Aug 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I just don’t get it. What are they rewarding him for? He’s under team control; make him earn it.

• Alex K - Aug 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Why not try and get him at a discount?

2. proudlycanadian - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:42 PM

If the Mariners should trade Felix Hernandez as argued by Matthew, by the same logic, shouldn’t the Cubs trade Castro? Yankee fans probably think that Castro would be a good replacement for the elderly Jeter.

• djpostl - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Rofl..um, no. At least this Yankee fan doesn’t. Talent or not, dude has to show he has his head out of his ass before he’s anything more than a guy with inferior production to Jeter AND mental lapses.

3. brewcrewfan54 - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM

He’s young but he has issues stating in the game when he’s still working on getting that payday. So hive him the payday early and you think things will improve? I would wait till this time next year to see if his issues have gone away. Not to mention he hasn’t been spectacular this year.

• kkolchak - Aug 17, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Yeah, I don’t know what the rush is. Didn’t the Cubs learn anything from Soriano?

• istillbelieveinblue - Aug 17, 2012 at 7:49 AM

This would be nothing like the Soriano deal. Starlin is young, and signing him to an extension now most likely saves the team money. I agree it is a risk, given the maturity issues he has display at times, but I still think it’s a risk worth taking. I think the biggest mistake the Cubs made with him was rushing him to the majors. I think he would have really benefited from playing at AAA in 2010 under Ryno instead of skipping Iowa and going straight to Chicago.

• kkolchak - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Don’t get me wrong–as a lifelong White Sox fan, I approve of the Cubs throwing their money away on head cases.

4. foreverchipper10 - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Keith Law said it best when he said he can’t wait for Castro to be ready for free agency after the 2nd year of a 3-year deal.

5. jlovenotjlo - Aug 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Maybe it is because I hate the Cubs and am a White Sox fan, but I think this guy is WAY overrated. .307 OBP? I’ll pass.

This has crappy Cubs contract decision written all over it.

6. mickeylolich1968 - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Not to worry. In Theo we trust.
    Look at his track record with the sox.
    Nancy, er J.D. Drew, 14 mil per year
    Carl crawford 20 per year
    John Lackey… Hey, you guys want a starting pitcher…cheap?

7. riverace19 - Aug 18, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Theo’s first idiot move… Weird too. Doesn’t fit the “Theo mold” at all.

8. mybrunoblog - Aug 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Castro has lots of raw talent but I see more Alfonso Soriano in him then I do Robinson Cano. I feel it is a mistake to go long term with a player like him. Then again the Cubs have a history of poor decisions. I know Epstein is in charge but sometimes it isn’t the driver that matters it’s the car.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester