Aug 17, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
7:00 p.m. EDT update: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal believes a Starlin Castro extension could be announced early next week or sooner. It’d be a six- or seven-year contract with a club option that would buy out an extra year of free agency. As is, Castro will be eligible for FA after 2016.
David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com has the exclusive:
Two industry sources who have represented several MLB players over the past decade confirmed to me tonight that the Cubs are working on a long term deal for star shortstop Starlin Castro.
The deal, which could be six or more years in length, is expected to be finalized before the end of the 2012 season and would not only buy out the remaining arbitration years that Castro has, but at least two years of free agency which he will reach after the 2016 season.
Castro has battled concentration issues, but the 22-year-old Dominican shortstop is the youngest player in franchise history to top 200 hits in a season (he finished with 207 in 2011) and continues to flash improving power potential. It’s hard to see this as anything but a positive for the rebuilding Northsiders.
Castro is batting .276/.307/.422 with 12 home runs and 58 RBI through 116 games played this season. As it stands currently, he will be eligible for arbitration this winter for the first time in his career.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)