Aug 17, 2012, 4:45 PM EST
If you don’t remember the story of Barret Loux, here it is in a nutshell: Arizona drafted the Texas A&M right-hander sixth overall in 2010 and came to terms with him on a $2 million deal, only to back out of it after his physical showed significant damage in both his elbow and shoulder.
At that point, the Diamondbacks figured it was a much better idea to let him go, and, in so doing, secure the seventh overall pick in the 2011 draft, rather than sign him at a drastically reduced amount. Loux was made a free agent and signed with the Rangers for $312,000 in Nov. 2010.
The now 23-year-old Loux has managed to avoid arm surgery since, and after winning again last night, he’s 14-1 with a 3.38 ERA and a 91/35 K/BB ratio in 117 1/3 innings for Double-A Frisco.
Loux isn’t a top prospect, and the Diamondbacks certainly wouldn’t change the way they handled the situation, given that they ended up with promising right-hander Archie Bradley from the compensation pick. Loux, though, does project as a useful bottom-of-the-rotation guy or middle reliever if he can stay healthy. The Rangers did well to take a chance on him, and it’d be no surprise if they call him up to make his major league debut next month.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 0
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 358
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (355)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)