Aug 17, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
If you don’t remember the story of Barret Loux, here it is in a nutshell: Arizona drafted the Texas A&M right-hander sixth overall in 2010 and came to terms with him on a $2 million deal, only to back out of it after his physical showed significant damage in both his elbow and shoulder.
At that point, the Diamondbacks figured it was a much better idea to let him go, and, in so doing, secure the seventh overall pick in the 2011 draft, rather than sign him at a drastically reduced amount. Loux was made a free agent and signed with the Rangers for $312,000 in Nov. 2010.
The now 23-year-old Loux has managed to avoid arm surgery since, and after winning again last night, he’s 14-1 with a 3.38 ERA and a 91/35 K/BB ratio in 117 1/3 innings for Double-A Frisco.
Loux isn’t a top prospect, and the Diamondbacks certainly wouldn’t change the way they handled the situation, given that they ended up with promising right-hander Archie Bradley from the compensation pick. Loux, though, does project as a useful bottom-of-the-rotation guy or middle reliever if he can stay healthy. The Rangers did well to take a chance on him, and it’d be no surprise if they call him up to make his major league debut next month.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)