Aug 17, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
It was reported a couple of months ago that a well-known former major leaguer was being investigated for insider trading. As it turns out, it’s Orioles Hall of Famer Eddie Murray, and he’s been charged with earning $235,314 in illegal profits.
As it turns out, Murray got his tips from former Orioles teammate Doug DeCinces, who was charged last year and, along with three associates, paid the SEC more than $3.3 million after making about $1.7 million in illegal profits.
Murray, likewise, has paid the piper:
The SEC alleges that Murray made approximately $235,314 in illegal profits after Illinois-based Abbott Laboratories Inc. publicly announced its plan to purchase Advanced Medical Optics through a tender offer. Murray agreed to settle the SEC’s charges by paying $358,151
Murray played in the majors for 21 years from 1977-97. He spent his first 12 years with the Orioles, winning the AL Rookie of the Year award in 1977 and five times finishing in the top five in the AL MVP balloting (without ever winning one). He also played for the Dodgers, Indians, Mets and Angels. He finished his career with a .287/.359/.476 line, 504 homers and 1,917 RBI. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 2003.
One of the game’s highest-paid players during the second half of the 1980’s, he made approximately $33 million in his career, judging from Doug Pappas’ data at Baseball-reference.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)