Aug 17, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
It was reported a couple of months ago that a well-known former major leaguer was being investigated for insider trading. As it turns out, it’s Orioles Hall of Famer Eddie Murray, and he’s been charged with earning $235,314 in illegal profits.
As it turns out, Murray got his tips from former Orioles teammate Doug DeCinces, who was charged last year and, along with three associates, paid the SEC more than $3.3 million after making about $1.7 million in illegal profits.
Murray, likewise, has paid the piper:
The SEC alleges that Murray made approximately $235,314 in illegal profits after Illinois-based Abbott Laboratories Inc. publicly announced its plan to purchase Advanced Medical Optics through a tender offer. Murray agreed to settle the SEC’s charges by paying $358,151
Murray played in the majors for 21 years from 1977-97. He spent his first 12 years with the Orioles, winning the AL Rookie of the Year award in 1977 and five times finishing in the top five in the AL MVP balloting (without ever winning one). He also played for the Dodgers, Indians, Mets and Angels. He finished his career with a .287/.359/.476 line, 504 homers and 1,917 RBI. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 2003.
One of the game’s highest-paid players during the second half of the 1980’s, he made approximately $33 million in his career, judging from Doug Pappas’ data at Baseball-reference.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)