Aug 17, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
It was reported a couple of months ago that a well-known former major leaguer was being investigated for insider trading. As it turns out, it’s Orioles Hall of Famer Eddie Murray, and he’s been charged with earning $235,314 in illegal profits.
As it turns out, Murray got his tips from former Orioles teammate Doug DeCinces, who was charged last year and, along with three associates, paid the SEC more than $3.3 million after making about $1.7 million in illegal profits.
Murray, likewise, has paid the piper:
The SEC alleges that Murray made approximately $235,314 in illegal profits after Illinois-based Abbott Laboratories Inc. publicly announced its plan to purchase Advanced Medical Optics through a tender offer. Murray agreed to settle the SEC’s charges by paying $358,151
Murray played in the majors for 21 years from 1977-97. He spent his first 12 years with the Orioles, winning the AL Rookie of the Year award in 1977 and five times finishing in the top five in the AL MVP balloting (without ever winning one). He also played for the Dodgers, Indians, Mets and Angels. He finished his career with a .287/.359/.476 line, 504 homers and 1,917 RBI. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 2003.
One of the game’s highest-paid players during the second half of the 1980’s, he made approximately $33 million in his career, judging from Doug Pappas’ data at Baseball-reference.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)