Aug 17, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
It was reported a couple of months ago that a well-known former major leaguer was being investigated for insider trading. As it turns out, it’s Orioles Hall of Famer Eddie Murray, and he’s been charged with earning $235,314 in illegal profits.
As it turns out, Murray got his tips from former Orioles teammate Doug DeCinces, who was charged last year and, along with three associates, paid the SEC more than $3.3 million after making about $1.7 million in illegal profits.
Murray, likewise, has paid the piper:
The SEC alleges that Murray made approximately $235,314 in illegal profits after Illinois-based Abbott Laboratories Inc. publicly announced its plan to purchase Advanced Medical Optics through a tender offer. Murray agreed to settle the SEC’s charges by paying $358,151
Murray played in the majors for 21 years from 1977-97. He spent his first 12 years with the Orioles, winning the AL Rookie of the Year award in 1977 and five times finishing in the top five in the AL MVP balloting (without ever winning one). He also played for the Dodgers, Indians, Mets and Angels. He finished his career with a .287/.359/.476 line, 504 homers and 1,917 RBI. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 2003.
One of the game’s highest-paid players during the second half of the 1980’s, he made approximately $33 million in his career, judging from Doug Pappas’ data at Baseball-reference.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)