Aug 17, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Desmond was having a breakout season before the injury, hitting .286 with 17 homers and an .825 OPS in 89 games while making his first All-Star team. In his absence manager Davey Johnson shifted Danny Espinosa from second base to shortstop and used Stephen Lombardozzi as the everyday second baseman.
To make room for Desmond’s return Washington designated veteran infielder Cesar Izturis for assignment.
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 1
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 1
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 3
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 26
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)