Now Ken Rosenthal is piling on the Red Sox

Aug 17, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT

Ken Rosenthal

Apparently FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal wanted a piggy-back ride.

Rosenthal is the best breaking-news MLB reporter around right now, but he has absolutely nothing new to offer in his column Friday firing off one-liners at the Red Sox

Spoiled, overpaid, underperforming children who should be seen and not heard.

Pedroia was Francona’s pet (for good reason)

David Ortiz, at times, is a unifying force. Other times, he prefers to bitch about his contract.

Rosenthal mentions Jeff Passan’s Yahoo! Sports column — the one that got the whole uproar started this week — but doesn’t link to it, even though it forms the backbone for his entire work here. He doesn’t mention Peter Abraham’s subsequent work for Boston.com, even though I imagine he read it and was influenced by it. Abraham’s line about the Red Sox not having reached the postseason since 2009 or won a playoff game since 2008 is present in both.

By all means, go read Rosenthal’s column if you’ve yet to get your daily dose of Red Sox schadenfreude. If you’re all set there, then don’t worry about it; you’re not missing much.

1. theawesomersfranchise - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Piling on….Matt?
    Pot meet kettle

2. washburn1000 - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Matt- thanks you for writing more recently. Craig Calcaterra doesn’t know anything about baseball and he’s intolerable as a writer. Also- he’s not funny. Period.

• El Bravo - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I’m drunk from all this whine.

• hittfamily - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM

You just made Craig’s day.

“… Keith actually kinda likes it when the mob goes after him. I’ll admit that I kinda like it. It can be a lot of fun. I could be wrong, but I sort of picture Keith cackling at this a bit.”

• badintent - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Somewhere, Theo is laughing his butt off and saying “You gonna fire me ? I’ll destroy this team with so many locker room poisons, your head will spin ! ” Ken is a little smuck with a complex about everything, especially himself. His wife told me last week at Motel 6.

• tashkalucy - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

washburn1000,

You missed his being the most immature writer in the national Internet press….and that’s saying something because these kids all sound like they’re down in their parents rec room watching a baseball game and trying to out dumb one another. It’s a wonder he doesn’t use “like” and the f-word (in all its variations) at least 20 times a column.

I swim at a University, and when they let the high school swim teams use the facilities in the wintertime, the banter those 16 year-olds use is similar to Craig’s prowse (sic) here.

Example # 1,455,982 that graduating law school is no big deal.

• Gobias Industries - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

You sound like a real fun guy. I also think C-SPAN is the most exhilarating channel on television.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM

You are making fun of 16 year old’s language, and then intentionally misspell a word to write (SIC) after?

I’m so confused

• motherscratcher23 - Aug 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM

tashkalucy – I owe you an apology. When I first started reading your post I initially dismissed you as an uninformed moron. But that was before I found out that you are a swimmer at a university who has occasionally heard 16 year olds speaking to each other.

I’d welcome you wisdom on any other topics you deem appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

3. 18thstreet - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I remember Gammons writing, early in 2001, that “nowhere is the bad moon rising faster than in Boston.” That team got out to a great start, and I used to troll Gammons on his weekly(?) ESPN.com chats with, “What speed is the bad moon rising now, Peter?”

That team fell apart and is one of the most loathed Boston teams (by non-pink hatted Boston fans, that is) ever. And Gammons saw it coming four months before it happened. That impressed the hell out of me.

Rosenthal is doing the opposite of that.

• 18thstreet - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Here’s the piece, from April 2001. http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2001/0401/1165653.html

• 18thstreet - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

That 2001 team flies in the face of the image that non-Sox fans keep parading around, that they used to be so much more likeable.

You (non-Boston fans) liked them because they lost. Then they started winning, and you hated them.

We (non-pink hatted Boston fans) alternatively loved and hated them throughout our lives. The Pink Hats imagine that we always loved them. No way. We were like forgiving girlfriends, convinced that our boyfriends really loved us and this would be the last time. Really, baby. I love you.

Revisionist garbage pervades Red Sox analysis.

• rooney24 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Not a Sox fan, but the one point from your post that too few fans (and pretty much zero players) get is that we as fans are allowed to hate our team if they aren’t doing well. We are even allowed to ignore them a little and not go to games if they stink. I will still follow the teams that I cheer for, at least to start the season, but you will need to be either good or entertaining for me to keep tuned in at the tail end of the season. Don’t call me “bandwagon” because I attend more games when you are a playoff team than what I attend when you are losing 90 games a year. There are truly bandwagon fans out there, that have never been fans, and then jump up when a team wins. But, if my team is 15 games out at this point, I know they aren’t coming back this year. So, I am allowed to occasionally ignore them, hate them, boo them, curse at my TV, etc. But, I will be back next spring with eternal hope that this is the year. That isn’t bandwagon, that is just the reality that we have other options for entertainment. All that said, I will still be watching the Twins on TV tonight……..and all weekend.

• umrguy42 - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I only hate them because I’m a Cardinals fan, and I hate teams that beat my hometown teams in championships (and the Yankees on general principle) :p Prior to that, I was indifferent to the Sox.

• madhatternalice - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Nope. We don’t actually hate the Red Sox. It’s their fan base which, in general terms, obtained a huge sense of insufferable entitlement after 2004.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m an Orioles fan, so of course I don’t love the Red Sox. But I don’t hate the team: I’m just over the fanboy fan base, that’s all.

• hokiegajanisgod - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

The real truth that most Boston fans either don’t know, or don’t want to admit is that this whole notion of ‘Red Sox Nation’ is solely a mid 1990’s creation. There was no ‘nation’ prior to that. Look at the old, pre-cable TV numbers; WSBK TV38 wasn’t setting any viewership records when they aired the Sox

Sure, the Red Sox had a sizable number of die hard fans, but no different than any other teams.

Botton line is that Red Sox fans need to relax and see what this season really is: a feeding frenzy for every hack sports witer.

• 18thstreet - Aug 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Great comments, everyone. Thanks.

Just a note to the Orioles fan out there: I remember going to a game in Camden Yards and a young Baltimore fan held up a big sign that said “BABE BUCKY BUCKNER BOONE.” I was so annoyed. The kid was, like, 10. And I mostly remember thinking: THIS is why I want the Red Sox to win a World Series: so I can go to an essentially meaningless game before the All Star Game and just enjoy the baseball.

I never hated the Orioles, either. I can’t really remember a time that the Sox and Orioles were good at the same time. Very little overlap in my lifetime.

I agree with the guy who made the point about the ratings in the 80s and 90s. The Red Sox were certainly popular, but the Celtics were a MUCH bigger deal back then. At least in my house/school/synagogue they were. I was a little surprised to see photos of myself as a kid shooting hoops wearing a Red Sox t-shirt instead of a Celtics t-shirt.

• hokiegajanisgod - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

why wouldn’t ‘pink hatted Boston fans’ loathe the 2001 Red Sox squad as much as any other Sox fan???

• 18thstreet - Aug 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM

The pink hats aren’t aware there was a team before 2004. They don’t know who Butch Hobson, Marc Sullivan, or RoseandPavano was. They have a vague sense of Bagwell-for-Anderson and think we hate Clemens just because he won in New York.

I don’t mean to turn this into a quiz or anything. It’s just that I used to be able to start conversations with random strangers wearing Red Sox hats (in live near DC), and that’s changed. I’m stating the obvious, but the bandwagon is real and it’s huge. I think a good rule of thumb is that if you’re worried that people talking about the pink hats are talking about you, then we’re probably talking about you.

If you’re positive you’re not a pink hat (because you remember that Offerman-Lansing-Everett-Hillenbrand mess or something equivalent from before Grady Little), then you’re not a pink hat.

• hokiegajanisgod - Aug 19, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Who really cares when anyone became a Red Sox fan, bandwagon or otherwise?

If Boston had the payroll of say, Kansas City or Milwaukee, I’d said 75%-80% of the non-pink hatted BoSox ‘diehards’ wouldn’t be fans of the team.

As a lifelong Sox fan, this elitism is disturbing. No demerits if someone doesn’t remember Tom Bolton or Ed Romero or Chico Walker.

• 18thstreet - Aug 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

“Who cares?” is a legitimate question. I mean, the bandwagon fans have made the team more profitable which allows them to stay competitive. But the team has ALWAYS been competitive. From 1932 to 1995, they never finished last.

I don’t know. I’m just bitter about the whole season and lashing out at hats.

• hokiegajanisgod - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Sure, your bitterness is completely valid. This has been a awful season for sure.

4. madtolive5 - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

“He doesn’t mention Peter Abraham’s subsequent work for Boston.com, even though Abraham’s line about the Red Sox not having reached the postseason since 2009 or won a playoff game since 2008 is suspiciously present in both.”

Pretty sure you do not need to give credit for a fact in the stat book.

• Matthew Pouliot - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I just reworked that line. I didn’t want it to look like I was accusing Rosenthal of plagiarism… that wasn’t my intention.

My thought was Rosenthal read Abraham’s piece at some point, that fact jumped out at him and he used it in his own column.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Matthew Pouliot – Aug 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Oh come on Matt- all the cool kids all doing it. As a matter of fact, I think you should also accuse him of drowning kittens and breaking windows at an orphanage.

5. kkolchak - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Ken Rosenthal used to intern as a reporter under Ric Romero.

(If you don’t get the joke, check Urban Dictionary)

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM

6. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM

To be fair though, haven’t we all piled on a bit? I mean the Red Sox are a train wreck, except that the train turned out to be a traveling circus and all the victims are clowns, which instantly takes it from tragic to hilarious.

• hughhoney2 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM

This is the perfect storm. Its what every Yankee fan loves to see. They should make another 30 for 30 on this debacle

• davebrownspiral - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Tragic clowns; Pagliacci. Kramer would be terrified

7. hitem396 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM

players, dont ever eat wings n beer during the games, or u will see how one great team can fall down just within 2yrs

8. xmatt0926x - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Because none of the bloggers here ever ever pile on. The self- righteousness and hypocrisy here is laughable sometimes.

9. savocabol1 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM

This website has quickly gone from covering baseball, to covering people who cover baseball.

Probably best to just get back to your roots HBT…

• keithbangedyermom - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Its a dangerous precedent to set. Deadspin used to be a sports website and it was glorious back in the Will Leitch days. Then that clown AJ Daulerio took over and transformed it into a sleazy TMZ of sports site. And he developed an obsession with ESPN and every reporter there. He left, but its still unreadable. Hardball Talk doesn’t want to get like that. Snark is so old and incredibly annoying. We get it – you’re a smart ass. But sarcasm 24/7/365 becomes condescending quickly.

10. realgone2 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I love when reporters/bloggers bitch about other reporters/bloggers. Like a buncha of catty 10th grade girls.

11. tashkalucy - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I said last off-season that the Red Sox were obviously on their way down, that Epstein saw it and got out……before the disastrous moves he made both caught up with his image and the Red Sox organization.

The Red Sox under Epstein outspent their mistakes….and there were a lot of them.

The team has not been the same sine Manny left, and that’s a fact.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

You also said the Yanks would be terrible, so I’d hold off on the kudos.

• 18thstreet - Aug 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I was curious about the Manny observation, because I thought it might be true. But they did win 95 games in 2008 and 2009, and came awful close to winning the 2008 ALCS, losing in seven games.

I think the biggest thing that’s changed since Manny left (since they obviously got rid of him at the right time) is that Lester and Beckett have not been the players I (and I assume others) expected them to be. There’s been other ups and downs, but if Lester and Beckett were doing okay this year (and last September), the story is very different. I don’t blame the loss of Manny. It’s obviously hard to replace a bat like that, but the team has has a great offense going on 12 years now. The Sox and Yankees have scored basically the same number of runs this year, barely behind Texas.

The problem is the pitching.

12. pinkfloydprism - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Rosensmall?

13. hammyofdoom - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Wow Ken rosenthal is just NOW commenting on this crap? Really? Had he been sitting on this story for a month just letting it mature and ripen to a prime age or what?

14. sabatimus - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM

All I had to read was “FOXSports.com” and thought “Nuff said”.

15. randygnyc - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Rooney24 said, “I will still follow the teams that I cheer for, at least to start the season, but you will need to be either good or entertaining for me to keep tuned in at the tail end of the season”

If what’s happening right now in Boston isn’t at the very least, “entertaining”, you have no pulse. Each and every day is like Christmas morning. The anticipation is almost more than I can bear. I have to know how this ends, but I want it to LINGER.

16. sportsdrenched.com - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Matt, Do you think for good measure you could get your co-worker Gregg Rosenthall to pile on the Red Sox too? Just to make sure all the angles are covered.

17. stairwayto7 - Aug 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Pedrioa is an overrated punk. If he played in Seattle, K.C or CLeveland, he would never be heard from!

• pisano - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM

short-man complex. “The runt of the litter”

18. shawnuel - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM

The same writer who just wrote the 70 kazillionth article about trading Felix, the day after THE KING throws a perfect game, accuses someone of piling on?

Of course, Rosenthal himself has written about 4 billion of those “Trade Felix” articles so I guess Matthew has a point.

19. giselleisasucubus - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Ken Rosenthal is a douche. Nice outfit. The guy went with the PeeWee Herman look and stuck with it. Grow up, Ken, you look like a f**kin toddler.

20. giselleisasucubus - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM

stairway, pedrioa has had one down year. Dont give me that crap about Sea,KC or Cle. Try watching for more than one season before commenting, idiot.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3127)