Red Sox release Mark Prior from Triple-A

Aug 17, 2012, 4:20 PM EDT

mark prior injured

Yesterday the Red Sox acquired reliever Pedro Beato from the Mets to complete the Kelly Shoppach trade and to make room for Beato on the Triple-A roster today they released Mark Prior.

Prior had impressively racked up 38 strikeouts in 25 innings as a reliever for Pawtucket, holding opponents to a .172 batting average. So why would the Red Sox release him from Triple-A? Because he couldn’t throw the ball over the plate, walking 23 batters in those 25 frames.

That includes a 15/13 K/BB ratio in 15 innings over his last 10 appearances, during which time Prior coughed up seven runs.

Obviously with nearly 14 strikeouts per nine innings and a sub-.200 batting average against there’s still some juice left in Prior’s oft-injured arm and he’s still only 31 years old, but he hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2006 and clearly wasn’t going to get an opportunity with the Red Sox.

1. hokiegajanisgod - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Why Cherinton, why???

Face it, Boston will not be playing in mid-October, why not bring Prior up and see what he could do in lieu of releasing him?

• gerryb323 - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM

“Because he couldn’t throw the ball over the plate, walking 23 batters in those 25 frames.”

• hokiegajanisgod - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM

So, per your determination, this means that they soon will be releasing Daniel Bard as well??

C’mon..they couldn’t let him pitch a few innings with Boston? Give me a break.

• hammyofdoom - Aug 17, 2012 at 5:46 PM

You, good sir, apparently didnt read the gist of the article

• hokiegajanisgod - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM

uh, I actually DID read the article..

If the K/BB ratio is the sole determinant then why haven’t they released Daniel Bard, old sport?

• baseballisboring - Aug 18, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Cause Bard is like 7 years younger, and was an excellent reliever as recently as 2011.

I mean, I’d love to see him in MLB as much as anyone. And I would think that after such a long layoff he would need a while to find his command. I mean, he’s striking guys out like crazy…never a bad sign. I feel like there must have been some other AAA scrub who they could have cut instead of him.

But he’s 31, and it goes without saying that he has no track record of staying healthy. The move is pretty defensible.

2. proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Looks like an opportunity for the Cubs to sign him.

3. niubears - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Geez, 2003 was a long time ago. Those were the good ole days, when the Cubs won playoff games. I was in HS then and since the ’07 & ’08 playoff debacles, I have questioned myself every day on why I’m a Cubs fan. I have no idea how the older generation of Cubs fans have done it.

• El Bravo - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Horse tranquilizers and Old Style.

• raysfan1 - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Older generation, singular? My 82 year old mother was 15 when her Cubbies last appeared in a World Series.

4. El Bravo - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM

There’s some juice in his arm alright….emphasis on juice.

5. royhobbs39 - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Let him work with Mazzone. The problem is not his mechanics. It’s not Dusty’s fault. It’s not that he was always a thrower and not a pitcher. The problem was his innings/pitch counts were not high enough. You really do not get started until 200IP…

• yahmule - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I understand there’s a movement here to revise history and absolve Dusty of blame for wrecking Prior’s career, but wreck it he did. partially it was because of too many innings at a young age, but where he really screwed him was by leaving him in games when he clearly had nothing left. Those pitches at the end of games was where the damage was really done.

• natslady - Aug 18, 2012 at 7:13 AM

LOL. Mazzone on the radio, “If a guy uses stats, he’s not a pitching coach.”

6. 11thstreetmafia - Aug 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I thought this guy was on the bottom of the Chicago river.

7. obama8mydog - Aug 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Another victim of Dusty Baker.

Three legends off to Cooperstown