Aug 17, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
The Yankees have Robinson Cano back from a sore neck Friday in the opener of a three-game series against the Red Sox, but Mark Teixeira is absent from the lineup due to an inflamed wrist, the LoHud Yankees Blog reports.
Teixeira initially injured the wrist on July 29 and missed a couple of games.
“It’s something he’s been battling since he hurt it the first time,” manager Joe Girardi said. “It got to the point where we’re going to have to give him some time off again. I don’t think that it’s a long-term problem, but we’ve just got to get through this. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more than a day.
Teixeira received a cortisone shot after the initial injury and could get another soon, depending on how the wrist feels in the next day or two. He’d been decent enough while playing through the soreness, batting .259 with three homers and seven RBI in 14 games this month.
With Teixeira absent, the Yankees will go with the following lineup tonight against lefty Franklin Morales:
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)