Aug 17, 2012, 6:26 PM EST
The Yankees have Robinson Cano back from a sore neck Friday in the opener of a three-game series against the Red Sox, but Mark Teixeira is absent from the lineup due to an inflamed wrist, the LoHud Yankees Blog reports.
Teixeira initially injured the wrist on July 29 and missed a couple of games.
“It’s something he’s been battling since he hurt it the first time,” manager Joe Girardi said. “It got to the point where we’re going to have to give him some time off again. I don’t think that it’s a long-term problem, but we’ve just got to get through this. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more than a day.
Teixeira received a cortisone shot after the initial injury and could get another soon, depending on how the wrist feels in the next day or two. He’d been decent enough while playing through the soreness, batting .259 with three homers and seven RBI in 14 games this month.
With Teixeira absent, the Yankees will go with the following lineup tonight against lefty Franklin Morales:
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)