Aug 17, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
The Yankees have Robinson Cano back from a sore neck Friday in the opener of a three-game series against the Red Sox, but Mark Teixeira is absent from the lineup due to an inflamed wrist, the LoHud Yankees Blog reports.
Teixeira initially injured the wrist on July 29 and missed a couple of games.
“It’s something he’s been battling since he hurt it the first time,” manager Joe Girardi said. “It got to the point where we’re going to have to give him some time off again. I don’t think that it’s a long-term problem, but we’ve just got to get through this. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more than a day.
Teixeira received a cortisone shot after the initial injury and could get another soon, depending on how the wrist feels in the next day or two. He’d been decent enough while playing through the soreness, batting .259 with three homers and seven RBI in 14 games this month.
With Teixeira absent, the Yankees will go with the following lineup tonight against lefty Franklin Morales:
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)