Aug 17, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
The Yankees have Robinson Cano back from a sore neck Friday in the opener of a three-game series against the Red Sox, but Mark Teixeira is absent from the lineup due to an inflamed wrist, the LoHud Yankees Blog reports.
Teixeira initially injured the wrist on July 29 and missed a couple of games.
“It’s something he’s been battling since he hurt it the first time,” manager Joe Girardi said. “It got to the point where we’re going to have to give him some time off again. I don’t think that it’s a long-term problem, but we’ve just got to get through this. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more than a day.
Teixeira received a cortisone shot after the initial injury and could get another soon, depending on how the wrist feels in the next day or two. He’d been decent enough while playing through the soreness, batting .259 with three homers and seven RBI in 14 games this month.
With Teixeira absent, the Yankees will go with the following lineup tonight against lefty Franklin Morales:
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 2
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (92)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)