Ryan Dempster to miss next start due to personal reasons

Aug 17, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT

Ryan Dempster

The Rangers just announced that Ryan Dempster will miss his scheduled Saturday start against the Blue Jays because of undisclosed “personal reasons.”

Roy Oswalt will take his place, starting for the first time since July 30.

Dempster has been awful since coming to the Rangers in a trade from the Cubs, allowing 19 runs in 17 innings spread over three starts. And Oswalt wasn’t much better before being demoted to the bullpen, posting a 5.52 ERA in seven starts after joining the rotation in mid-June.

An impending free agent, Dempster signed off on a deal to the Rangers after the Braves and Dodgers also made a run at him prior to the July 31 deadline. Texas gave up minor leaguers Christian Villanueva and Kyle Hendricks to get him.

1. cur68 - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM

If by “personal reasons” he means “getting tattooed like a drunken sailor” then I feel its for the best that Demp has a seat.

• dugldo - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Problem is his replacement also gets tattooed like a drunken sailor…

• Alex K - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I hope that is the case and it’s not “my daughter’s DiGeorge Syndrome is flaring”

• cur68 - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Holy crap. Me too.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I believe that the problem was a little more mundane. It appears that he did not have his passport with him. I would guess that it was in Chicago.

2. nagrommit - Aug 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM

He’s still hoping for a trade to the Dodgers?

3. icanspeel - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

All I gotta say is the Braves are lucky they didn’t land him. They should send him a thank you card

• kkolchak - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Karma is a bitch, as they say.

4. billymc75 - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Rumor has it he lost his passport? Wow and he’s from Canada that’s gotta suck aaaa!

5. highwaymen27 - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I heard rumors that his wife filed for divorce.

6. gibbskins9 - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

National league pitchers are not American league strong!!!!!

• derklempner - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Max Scherzer, Jose Valverde, Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, Nolan Ryan, Hiroki Kuroda, Jason Hammel, Hideo Nomo, and many more disagree with you.

• blueballzny - Aug 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Seriously, Nolan Ryan? How freakin far back are you gonna go? You can’t even compare the two eras.
        The only guy you mentioned who had sustained success in the AL is Schilling. Having one or two good season does not show you can make the transition. Just look at how Beckett has done the past few seasons. Did you really use Max Scherzer and Hideo Nomo in your argument? hahaha. That’s hilarious.

• derklempner - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:35 PM

@blueballzny:

I named as many pitchers as I could off the top of my head for about as long as I’ve been watching baseball since the late 1970s. As for your reasoning that “one or two good season [sic] does not show you can make the transition”, the parent poster didn’t differentiate between short-term or long-term success. I was listing pitchers who have had success.

But as long as you want to argue my point, why don’t you tell me how many AL pitchers continued their dominance after moving to the NL? There are just as few as NL-to-AL successes. For every Roy Halladay there’s 10 Johann Santanas. That’s just the way it goes in baseball: sustained success for any pitcher is rare going all the way back to the dead ball era.

• Marty - Aug 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM

His only three losses since June have been against NL teams.

7. mannyicey - Aug 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Hey Ryan!

Sup?

(Braves Fan?

8. 11thstreetmafia - Aug 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

As a cubs fan, this is the only thing that gives me joy this season. This guy went from revered to reviled pretty quickly. What a clown.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2975)