Aug 17, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt will take his place, starting for the first time since July 30.
Dempster has been awful since coming to the Rangers in a trade from the Cubs, allowing 19 runs in 17 innings spread over three starts. And Oswalt wasn’t much better before being demoted to the bullpen, posting a 5.52 ERA in seven starts after joining the rotation in mid-June.
An impending free agent, Dempster signed off on a deal to the Rangers after the Braves and Dodgers also made a run at him prior to the July 31 deadline. Texas gave up minor leaguers Christian Villanueva and Kyle Hendricks to get him.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 5
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 26
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 206
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (206)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)