Aug 17, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt will take his place, starting for the first time since July 30.
Dempster has been awful since coming to the Rangers in a trade from the Cubs, allowing 19 runs in 17 innings spread over three starts. And Oswalt wasn’t much better before being demoted to the bullpen, posting a 5.52 ERA in seven starts after joining the rotation in mid-June.
An impending free agent, Dempster signed off on a deal to the Rangers after the Braves and Dodgers also made a run at him prior to the July 31 deadline. Texas gave up minor leaguers Christian Villanueva and Kyle Hendricks to get him.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 15
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 71
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 13
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 92
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)