Aug 18, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
Thoughts are with Carlos Gonzalez and his family.
The outfielder revealed through his personal Twitter feed this afternoon that his grandfather passed away on Friday. He’s been placed on MLB’s bereavement list to attend the funeral, with Charlie Blackmon getting the call from Triple-A Colorado Springs to fill the vacancy on the Rockies’ active 25-man roster.
CarGo is having another fantastic season, batting .320/.389/.542 with 20 home runs, 79 RBI and 16 stolen bases in 108 games played. The 26-year-old from Venezuela should not be expected back this weekend. The Rox will give him all the time he needs.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 37
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)