Aug 18, 2012, 7:53 PM EST
Thoughts are with Carlos Gonzalez and his family.
The outfielder revealed through his personal Twitter feed this afternoon that his grandfather passed away on Friday. He’s been placed on MLB’s bereavement list to attend the funeral, with Charlie Blackmon getting the call from Triple-A Colorado Springs to fill the vacancy on the Rockies’ active 25-man roster.
CarGo is having another fantastic season, batting .320/.389/.542 with 20 home runs, 79 RBI and 16 stolen bases in 108 games played. The 26-year-old from Venezuela should not be expected back this weekend. The Rox will give him all the time he needs.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 0
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 75
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 118
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 21
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (119)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)