Aug 18, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
Thoughts are with Carlos Gonzalez and his family.
The outfielder revealed through his personal Twitter feed this afternoon that his grandfather passed away on Friday. He’s been placed on MLB’s bereavement list to attend the funeral, with Charlie Blackmon getting the call from Triple-A Colorado Springs to fill the vacancy on the Rockies’ active 25-man roster.
CarGo is having another fantastic season, batting .320/.389/.542 with 20 home runs, 79 RBI and 16 stolen bases in 108 games played. The 26-year-old from Venezuela should not be expected back this weekend. The Rox will give him all the time he needs.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)