Aug 18, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
When the Red Sox demoted Daniel Bard to Triple-A Pawtucket in June, the hope was that he would be able to straighten out his mechanics and get back on track against lesser competition. Things haven’t exactly worked out that way.
Bard has a 7.45 ERA and 30/29 K/BB ratio over 29 innings in 28 relief appearances with the PawSox. The 27-year-old right-hander allowed just an unearned run and two walks over five innings in his last five appearances in July, but has an awful 12.71 ERA and 6/12 K/BB ratio over 5 2/3 innings this month.
Despite his lack of progress and continued control issues, Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald hears that Bard will be back with the Red Sox this season.
Daniel Bard definitely will rejoin #RedSox by September, maybe sooner, according to team source—
Scott Lauber (@ScottLauber) August 18, 2012
Bard clearly isn’t fixed and while we have no way of knowing what is going on inside of his head, bringing him back to the big leagues only to see him struggle again may not be beneficial to him in the long-run. Given how ugly the situation already is in Boston, this could be an unnecessary risk.
Bard, 27, posted a 5.24 ERA and 34/37 K/BB ratio over 55 innings in 10 starts and one relief appearance prior to being demoted to the minors.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (143)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)