Aug 18, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
When the Red Sox demoted Daniel Bard to Triple-A Pawtucket in June, the hope was that he would be able to straighten out his mechanics and get back on track against lesser competition. Things haven’t exactly worked out that way.
Bard has a 7.45 ERA and 30/29 K/BB ratio over 29 innings in 28 relief appearances with the PawSox. The 27-year-old right-hander allowed just an unearned run and two walks over five innings in his last five appearances in July, but has an awful 12.71 ERA and 6/12 K/BB ratio over 5 2/3 innings this month.
Despite his lack of progress and continued control issues, Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald hears that Bard will be back with the Red Sox this season.
Daniel Bard definitely will rejoin #RedSox by September, maybe sooner, according to team source—
Scott Lauber (@ScottLauber) August 18, 2012
Bard clearly isn’t fixed and while we have no way of knowing what is going on inside of his head, bringing him back to the big leagues only to see him struggle again may not be beneficial to him in the long-run. Given how ugly the situation already is in Boston, this could be an unnecessary risk.
Bard, 27, posted a 5.24 ERA and 34/37 K/BB ratio over 55 innings in 10 starts and one relief appearance prior to being demoted to the minors.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 11
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires