Aug 18, 2012, 6:41 PM EST
When the Red Sox demoted Daniel Bard to Triple-A Pawtucket in June, the hope was that he would be able to straighten out his mechanics and get back on track against lesser competition. Things haven’t exactly worked out that way.
Bard has a 7.45 ERA and 30/29 K/BB ratio over 29 innings in 28 relief appearances with the PawSox. The 27-year-old right-hander allowed just an unearned run and two walks over five innings in his last five appearances in July, but has an awful 12.71 ERA and 6/12 K/BB ratio over 5 2/3 innings this month.
Despite his lack of progress and continued control issues, Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald hears that Bard will be back with the Red Sox this season.
Daniel Bard definitely will rejoin #RedSox by September, maybe sooner, according to team source—
Scott Lauber (@ScottLauber) August 18, 2012
Bard clearly isn’t fixed and while we have no way of knowing what is going on inside of his head, bringing him back to the big leagues only to see him struggle again may not be beneficial to him in the long-run. Given how ugly the situation already is in Boston, this could be an unnecessary risk.
Bard, 27, posted a 5.24 ERA and 34/37 K/BB ratio over 55 innings in 10 starts and one relief appearance prior to being demoted to the minors.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)