Aug 18, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
The Angels’ rotation hasn’t been the force we expected it would be this season, even after the Zack Greinke trade last month, but Jered Weaver has managed to be the exception. Until last night, that is.
Weaver was tagged for a career-high nine runs over just three-plus innings as part of a 12-3 loss to the Rays. He served up a solo homer to B.J. Upton in the first inning and a solo shot to Ben Zobrist in the second before allowing the first seven batters to reach base in the fourth. He was replaced by LaTroy Hawkins, who allowed two inherited runners to score on an RBI single by Upton.
Weaver had a start against the Yankees on May 30 where he left in the first inning with a back injury, but otherwise this was his shortest outing of the season. His ERA jumped from an AL-best 2.22 to 2.74 with the clunker. He was handed just his third loss of the year.
Many have assumed that the Angels would at least get one of the Wild Cards in the American League and that may still happen, but they are far from a sure thing right now. With losses in seven out of their last 10 games, they sit at 62-58 on the year, seven games behind the Rangers in the American League West and 2 1/2 games back for the Wild Card. The team’s starting rotation has a 6.00 ERA this month.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 168
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (170)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)