Aug 18, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
The Rockies are currently on pace for their worst season in franchise history, but they are set to get some help down the stretch.
According to Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post, Jhoulys Chacin is scheduled to rejoin the starting rotation Tuesday night against the Mets. The 24-year-old right-hander has originally placed on the disabled list in early May with what was termed as right shoulder inflammation, but he was later diagnosed with a nerve irritation in his right pectoral muscle.
Chacin tossed seven innings of one-run ball in his most recent rehab start with Triple-A Colorado Springs on Thursday, despite walking three and failing to register a strikeout. He had an ugly 7.30 ERA and 22/15 K/BB ratio over 24 2/3 innings in five starts prior to the injury.
This has been a lost season for Chacin, but the Rockies are hopeful he can at least go out on a good note and provide reason for optimism going in 2013. He had a 3.62 ERA in 31 starts last season and a 3.28 ERA as a rookie in 2010, so if healthy, he should still be a big part of the team’s future.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)