Aug 18, 2012, 11:11 AM EST
The Rockies are currently on pace for their worst season in franchise history, but they are set to get some help down the stretch.
According to Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post, Jhoulys Chacin is scheduled to rejoin the starting rotation Tuesday night against the Mets. The 24-year-old right-hander has originally placed on the disabled list in early May with what was termed as right shoulder inflammation, but he was later diagnosed with a nerve irritation in his right pectoral muscle.
Chacin tossed seven innings of one-run ball in his most recent rehab start with Triple-A Colorado Springs on Thursday, despite walking three and failing to register a strikeout. He had an ugly 7.30 ERA and 22/15 K/BB ratio over 24 2/3 innings in five starts prior to the injury.
This has been a lost season for Chacin, but the Rockies are hopeful he can at least go out on a good note and provide reason for optimism going in 2013. He had a 3.62 ERA in 31 starts last season and a 3.28 ERA as a rookie in 2010, so if healthy, he should still be a big part of the team’s future.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)