Aug 18, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
The Rockies are currently on pace for their worst season in franchise history, but they are set to get some help down the stretch.
According to Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post, Jhoulys Chacin is scheduled to rejoin the starting rotation Tuesday night against the Mets. The 24-year-old right-hander has originally placed on the disabled list in early May with what was termed as right shoulder inflammation, but he was later diagnosed with a nerve irritation in his right pectoral muscle.
Chacin tossed seven innings of one-run ball in his most recent rehab start with Triple-A Colorado Springs on Thursday, despite walking three and failing to register a strikeout. He had an ugly 7.30 ERA and 22/15 K/BB ratio over 24 2/3 innings in five starts prior to the injury.
This has been a lost season for Chacin, but the Rockies are hopeful he can at least go out on a good note and provide reason for optimism going in 2013. He had a 3.62 ERA in 31 starts last season and a 3.28 ERA as a rookie in 2010, so if healthy, he should still be a big part of the team’s future.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 21
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 22
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)