Aug 18, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT
Unfortunate news to pass along from the Red Sox.
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, Red Sox prospect left-hander Brian Johnson suffered “multiple orbital fractures” when he was hit in the left side of his face by a line drive at the seventh annual “Futures at Fenway” event this afternoon at Fenway Park. The injury occurred on his second pitch of the day for Single A Lowell.
Austin Laymance of MLB.com reports that Johnson waved to the crowed as he was carted off the field on a stretcher. McAdam adds that he is currently resting comfortably in the hospital and there’s no evidence of a concussion.
Johnson was selected No. 31 overall in June’s First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Florida and joined the Red Sox on a $1,575,000 bonus. The 21-year-old southpaw began his pro career with 5 1/3 scoreless innings for Lowell.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)