Aug 18, 2012, 5:26 PM EST
Unfortunate news to pass along from the Red Sox.
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, Red Sox prospect left-hander Brian Johnson suffered “multiple orbital fractures” when he was hit in the left side of his face by a line drive at the seventh annual “Futures at Fenway” event this afternoon at Fenway Park. The injury occurred on his second pitch of the day for Single A Lowell.
Austin Laymance of MLB.com reports that Johnson waved to the crowed as he was carted off the field on a stretcher. McAdam adds that he is currently resting comfortably in the hospital and there’s no evidence of a concussion.
Johnson was selected No. 31 overall in June’s First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Florida and joined the Red Sox on a $1,575,000 bonus. The 21-year-old southpaw began his pro career with 5 1/3 scoreless innings for Lowell.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)