Aug 18, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT
Unfortunate news to pass along from the Red Sox.
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, Red Sox prospect left-hander Brian Johnson suffered “multiple orbital fractures” when he was hit in the left side of his face by a line drive at the seventh annual “Futures at Fenway” event this afternoon at Fenway Park. The injury occurred on his second pitch of the day for Single A Lowell.
Austin Laymance of MLB.com reports that Johnson waved to the crowed as he was carted off the field on a stretcher. McAdam adds that he is currently resting comfortably in the hospital and there’s no evidence of a concussion.
Johnson was selected No. 31 overall in June’s First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Florida and joined the Red Sox on a $1,575,000 bonus. The 21-year-old southpaw began his pro career with 5 1/3 scoreless innings for Lowell.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)