Aug 18, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
C.J. Nitkowski may soon find himself back in the majors for the first time since 2005.
We mentioned about a month ago that Nitkowski had signed a minor league contract with the Mets. It was essentially a last-ditch effort to keep his career alive. And boy has he taken advantage of the opportunity. Now using a sidearm delivery, the 39-year-old southpaw has 13 strikeouts over 10 1/3 scoreless innings between Double-A Binghamton and Triple-A Buffalo.
According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, Nitkowski’s strong performance now has him “on the radar” for a call-up when rosters expand in September.
“He is certainly in the conversation,” a team official told Martino. “If he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’ll be up.”
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)