Aug 19, 2012, 12:33 AM EDT
Brad Mills was hired before the 2010 season by Drayton McLane, who is no longer the Astros’ owner, and Ed Wade, who is no longer the Astros’ GM. So he’s been a sitting duck under the new regime.
And a 39-82 record sure didn’t help matters.
Mills was let go on Saturday night following an ugly eight-run loss to Arizona, along with hitting coach Mike Barnett and first base coach Bobby Meacham.
Interims for those positions will be named Sunday.
Mills, a first-time manager, went 171-274 in just shy of three seasons with the ‘Stros. His roster was sapped of talent over the past two summers as the organization began a frantic rebuild, but that brutal winning percentage means it will likely be a little while before he’s given another try as a major-league skipper.
The Astros are moving quickly to change the look and feel of the organization under new owner Jim Crane and new general manager Jeff Luhnow. They’ll move into the star-studded American League West next season, and recently submitted a more “traditional” uniform redesign to the MLB offices for approval.
It’s a club under a complete renovation. A renovation that isn’t attracting many spectators.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 5
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 35
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 89
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)