Aug 19, 2012, 12:33 AM EDT
Brad Mills was hired before the 2010 season by Drayton McLane, who is no longer the Astros’ owner, and Ed Wade, who is no longer the Astros’ GM. So he’s been a sitting duck under the new regime.
And a 39-82 record sure didn’t help matters.
Mills was let go on Saturday night following an ugly eight-run loss to Arizona, along with hitting coach Mike Barnett and first base coach Bobby Meacham.
Interims for those positions will be named Sunday.
Mills, a first-time manager, went 171-274 in just shy of three seasons with the ‘Stros. His roster was sapped of talent over the past two summers as the organization began a frantic rebuild, but that brutal winning percentage means it will likely be a little while before he’s given another try as a major-league skipper.
The Astros are moving quickly to change the look and feel of the organization under new owner Jim Crane and new general manager Jeff Luhnow. They’ll move into the star-studded American League West next season, and recently submitted a more “traditional” uniform redesign to the MLB offices for approval.
It’s a club under a complete renovation. A renovation that isn’t attracting many spectators.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 1
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games