Aug 19, 2012, 12:33 AM EDT
Brad Mills was hired before the 2010 season by Drayton McLane, who is no longer the Astros’ owner, and Ed Wade, who is no longer the Astros’ GM. So he’s been a sitting duck under the new regime.
And a 39-82 record sure didn’t help matters.
Mills was let go on Saturday night following an ugly eight-run loss to Arizona, along with hitting coach Mike Barnett and first base coach Bobby Meacham.
Interims for those positions will be named Sunday.
Mills, a first-time manager, went 171-274 in just shy of three seasons with the ‘Stros. His roster was sapped of talent over the past two summers as the organization began a frantic rebuild, but that brutal winning percentage means it will likely be a little while before he’s given another try as a major-league skipper.
The Astros are moving quickly to change the look and feel of the organization under new owner Jim Crane and new general manager Jeff Luhnow. They’ll move into the star-studded American League West next season, and recently submitted a more “traditional” uniform redesign to the MLB offices for approval.
It’s a club under a complete renovation. A renovation that isn’t attracting many spectators.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 0
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 7
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 31
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)