Brad Mills: “I wish the best for the players and the fans”

Aug 19, 2012, 10:18 AM EDT

brad mills ap AP

The Astros fired manager Brad Mills, hitting coach Mike Barnett and first base coach Bobby Meacham late Saturday night after falling to 39-82 on the season with an eight-run loss to the Diamondbacks.

Here’s the reaction from Mills after his meeting with members of the Houston front office, courtesy of MLB.com beat writer Brian McTaggart:

“You know when you’re having a rough season and everybody always brings it up, nobody lets you forget it. I love the players, I love the effort they gave every day. They’ve been great to me and how they’ve gone about everything and I love our fans. The fans we have here in Houston are the best and they’ve been great to me as well and I appreciate them an awful lot and I wish the best for the players and the fans as we move forward.

We’re going to move forward with some things and see what happens. The biggest thing is I’d like to go see my son play. For years, I’ve never really gotten an opportunity to watch him play and I want to see my daughter in law and see my granddaughter and watch him play a little bit and go from there.”

Mills’ son Beau is currently starting at first base for the Reds’ Double-A affiliate in Pensacola, Florida. As of Saturday night, the 26-year-old was batting .269/.348/.503 with nine homers and 26 RBI in 48 games.

Mills, who turns 56 years old in January, had a 171-274 record in his three seasons with the ‘Stros.

1. danielcp0303 - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Class act. I was at an Astros game last week, the first one I’ve been to in a few years. I don’t think we had more than 2 players get to second base. I hope Mills knows that the fans know it wasn’t his fault. I hope he lands a job with another organization, maybe they’ll give him good players to work with.

• Old Gator - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM

If the comments here over the past couple of years are any indication, I think it’s safe to say that the fans do indeed know whose fault this is, and that it’s not Mills. I don’t know what the new owners and execs of the team thought they would accomplish by cutting him – certainly, if they’re stupid enough to think it was going to encourage the fans the team is in as much trouble going forward as it has been in the recent past.

On the other hand, I guess any reasonable Feesh fan has to thank them for Carlos Lee. He has been one of the few bright spots in an abysmal season for us (batting around .400 with RISP on a team with among the worst RISP in the game) and being a mentor to the young players the Feesh have been bringing up from the minors. Thanks, guys.

• stex52 - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM

You’re welcome.

2. chill1184 - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I do hope Mills does find another job with another team, he got dealt a really bad hand.

3. willclarkgameface - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Poor bastard. He gets handed a shit team and he will probably never manage again.

He’s a class act and a great bench coach. I say him and Tito land a job somewhere together and keep the Red Sox from the lame play-in game every year.

4. hoopmatch - Aug 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Maybe the Reds will be interested in him, seeing as how they don’t seem committed to Dusty Baker.

5. royhobbs39 - Aug 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM

His resume only needs to be half a sheet of paper with the words “I won 171 games with the 2010-12 Astros”. No need to waste all that extra paper. He should get a decent job with that line alone.

6. icanspeel - Aug 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Hardly his fault for the Astros record over the last few years.. Seems each trading deadline they are getting rid of current talent for future talent. They will need to break that cycle if they ever want to win.

7. brewcrewfan54 - Aug 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I don’t know if he’s a good manager or not. What I can say is future jobs shouldn’t judge him by his W/L record because he didn’t have the talent to be successful. What they can judge is that through all the losing I never heard any stories of him losing the lockerroom and that says quite a bit about his managing. Anyone can make a pitching change using statistics as a guide. Not everyone can manage the frustrations of a group of professional athletes.

8. hcf95688 - Aug 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Nice job by Mills. He could have easily blasted management, which would have only worked against him. Class act. I hope he gets to see his son play a lot in whats left of the 2012 minor league season because I doubt he’ll be out of work long.

9. tonyc920 - Aug 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Brewers fan here. I was hoping they wouldn’t do this to the manager. What do they expect, you clear the cupboards and expect the man to whip up a 5 star dinner. Ridiculous, but I’m sure he was well compensated.

10. realgone2 - Aug 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Not an Astros fan, but jeez why do this 1 1/2 months before the season ends?

11. deathmonkey41 - Aug 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I think the Red Sox should fire Valentine and hire him- he’s a heck of a manager!

12. dutchman45 - Aug 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM

This Cincinnati Reds fan knows that when you go to war you need ammunition. The Astros do not have the ammunition needed to compete.

Of course they blame the poor manager. It is the fault of management.

Brad Mills is a saint to have put up with this garbage!

• contraryguy - Aug 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Same here; I grew up with the Reds playing the Astros in the NL West and having some serious battles result… it’s sad to see that franchise torn apart as it has been.

Currently the Stros are at a .320 win percentage; I think that might be the worst since Detroit’s epic 43-119 season in 2003; it took the Tigers a mere 3 years to get to the World Series after that. BUT, that happened after they imported Jim Leyland as manager, and some talent to boot. There is no Jim Leyland out there sitting on the sidelines, unless you think LaRussa or Joe Torre will come back to manage. There is no miracle worker waiting in the wings for the Astros. They’re just marking time until the next great draft picks come along. Or something.

• contraryguy - Aug 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM

ah crap, 2004 Dbacks had a .315 record. But you get the picture; even they have since made the playoffs. Good luck, Stros.

13. randygnyc - Aug 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Brad mills certainly got a rough hand, but he should get an opportunity to land on his feet elsewhere. I can understand ownerships desire to have their own guys running the team. After all, they did just pay 100′s of millions for the privilege. If the Astros put in a permanent replacement to get an idea for next years approach its understandable. Otherwise, Mills should have been given the chance to play out the string.

14. bigleagues - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:23 AM

The stage is now set for a Tito/Millsy reunion in 2013 . . . right off the top – we can eliminate two teams from the list of possibilities. Who of the remaining 28 are the best fit for the dynamic 2-time World Series Champion manager/bench coach duo?

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act