Aug 19, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
Starling Marte has appeared in 23 straight games with the Pirates since his promotion from Triple-A Indianapolis on July 26. But that streak will be snapped in Sunday’s series finale at Busch Stadium.
According to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Marte has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right oblique strain that he suffered in Saturday night’s 5-4 loss to the Cardinals.
Jose Tabata has been recalled to take the open roster spot despite batting just .297/.353/.354 with zero home runs and 15 RBI in 41 games on the farm.
Marte, a 23-year-old top prospect, has registered a .708 OPS with four homers, four stolen bases and 10 RBI over the first 23 games of his major league career. He should rejoin the Pirates around early September.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)