Aug 19, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
Starling Marte has appeared in 23 straight games with the Pirates since his promotion from Triple-A Indianapolis on July 26. But that streak will be snapped in Sunday’s series finale at Busch Stadium.
According to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Marte has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right oblique strain that he suffered in Saturday night’s 5-4 loss to the Cardinals.
Jose Tabata has been recalled to take the open roster spot despite batting just .297/.353/.354 with zero home runs and 15 RBI in 41 games on the farm.
Marte, a 23-year-old top prospect, has registered a .708 OPS with four homers, four stolen bases and 10 RBI over the first 23 games of his major league career. He should rejoin the Pirates around early September.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 0
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)