Aug 19, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
Starling Marte has appeared in 23 straight games with the Pirates since his promotion from Triple-A Indianapolis on July 26. But that streak will be snapped in Sunday’s series finale at Busch Stadium.
According to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Marte has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right oblique strain that he suffered in Saturday night’s 5-4 loss to the Cardinals.
Jose Tabata has been recalled to take the open roster spot despite batting just .297/.353/.354 with zero home runs and 15 RBI in 41 games on the farm.
Marte, a 23-year-old top prospect, has registered a .708 OPS with four homers, four stolen bases and 10 RBI over the first 23 games of his major league career. He should rejoin the Pirates around early September.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)