Aug 19, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
Starling Marte has appeared in 23 straight games with the Pirates since his promotion from Triple-A Indianapolis on July 26. But that streak will be snapped in Sunday’s series finale at Busch Stadium.
According to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Marte has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right oblique strain that he suffered in Saturday night’s 5-4 loss to the Cardinals.
Jose Tabata has been recalled to take the open roster spot despite batting just .297/.353/.354 with zero home runs and 15 RBI in 41 games on the farm.
Marte, a 23-year-old top prospect, has registered a .708 OPS with four homers, four stolen bases and 10 RBI over the first 23 games of his major league career. He should rejoin the Pirates around early September.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)