Mike Trout might be having the best year in Angels history

Aug 19, 2012, 3:05 PM EDT

mike trout ap AP

Angels phenom Mike Trout has a good shot at capturing both MVP and Rookie of the Year honors in the American League. He’d be the first do it since Ichiro Suzuki in 2001, and Ichiro was 27 years old at the time. Trout just turned 21.

Now for something even more mind-boggling. From the great Sam Miller of Baseball Prospectus:

WAR isn’t a perfect measurement of a player’s production, but what statistic is?

Trout has a league-leading .343 batting average, a league-leading 182 OPS+, a league-leading 39 stolen bases and a league-leading 95 runs scored, and that’s with missing most of April. Oh, and he has also robbed three homers. No matter how you slice it, this is spectacular stuff from the Anaheim youngster.

And he has another 41 games to pile the numbers on.

1. Drew Silva - Aug 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Thought I should leave these here …

Erstad (2000): .355/.409/.541, 25 HR,100 RBI, 28 SB in 157 games.
    Trout (2012): .343/.407/.604, 23 HR, 69 RBI, 39 SB in 98 games.

• elgorditodehumboldt - Aug 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Erstad’s “big” season came at the peak of the steroid era. He never sniffed numbers even remotely close to that either before or after that year. It is kind of like Brady Anderson and his 50+ home run season.

• ptfu - Aug 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM

You might as well mention caught stealings along with stolen bases. Hint: it makes Trout look even better.

Erstad2000 stole 28 bases and was caught 8 times, which is a decent 78% success rate.

Trout2012 has stolen 39 bases and has been caught only 3 times, which is a phenomenal 93% success rate. Not running into outs is just one more thing he does well.

2. hittfamily - Aug 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Speaking of replacement…..mike scioscia

3. Ben - Aug 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

If Trout doesn’t win the MVP it’s a travesty. I don’t usually care about whether the voters get it right or wrong, but Trout’s wRC+ is 20 points higher than Miguel Cabrera’s, all while playing a harder position with excellent defense. Miguel Cabrera is a full 2 WAR behind Trout, despite playing 22 more games. It’s just crazy how much better Trout has been than anyone else.

4. scatterbrian - Aug 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Not only was Ichiro 27 years old–and experienced froom his years in Japan–he wasn’t even the MVP of his own team. Boone, A-Rod, and Giambi were all more deserving, but Ichiro was “the story” of 2001. Trout winning both would be vastly more impressive.

• hittfamily - Aug 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Giambi? Jason was never a Mariner and Jeremy was never good.

• scatterbrian - Aug 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Apologies, those were kind of separate points. Boone was the more deserving Mariner, and A-Rod (a Ranger in 2001) and Giambi (Jason) were also more deserving that year.

• hittfamily - Aug 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Oh. That makes sense.

5. pisano - Aug 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM

That team (Angels) has been getting pounded by the Rays. I said the A’s would have to be dealt with and the Angels are seeing to that.

6. phillyphan83 - Aug 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM

NJ native, represent Millville…Go Mike!!! We’re all proud of you!

7. sportsguygerald - Aug 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I’m a Ranger fan and I love watching Trout play. He makes it look so easy and plays way beyond his years. I wasn’t around to see a young Willie Mays, but I have a hard time believing that he could have been much better at that age. I was able to see Mays play when he was in his 30′s and he is my favorite CF that I have ever seen play. Trout may soon take his place

8. lewp - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I’m a Ranger fan and I love watching the Angels lose.

• pisano - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I’m not a Ranger fan and I love watching the Angels lose.

9. irishdodger - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I think Trout’s season is more similar to Fred Lynn in 1975 when he won both ROY & MVP.

10. stlouis1baseball - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Best player in MLB right now.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4022)