Aug 19, 2012, 9:20 PM EST
Update: While the official statement is that the Red Sox will decide Carl Crawford‘s fate Monday, ESPN is reporting that the decision has already been made that Crawford will undergo Tommy John surgery on Tuesday, making tonight’s game his last of the season.
Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said the Red Sox will meet on the off day Monday and make a decision on Tommy John surgery for Carl Crawford.
Crawford and doctors are expected to be involved in the meeting.
Rumor has Crawford preferring to undergo surgery now, which should ensure that he’s ready to play next spring. The Red Sox, though, might want to put it off, figuring that he could still be ready for Opening Day even if he waits until after the season to undergo surgery.
With a .309 average, two homers and 15 RBI in 17 games this month, Crawford has been one of the team’s best players of late.
In spite of all of the team’s struggles, the Red Sox still have some shot at a playoff berth, thanks largely to the addition of the second wild card. Of course, they would have to catch fire, something they haven’t done at any point this season. They’re currently 6 1/2 games back of the Orioles for the second wild card spot with 41 games left to play.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 0
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)