Aug 19, 2012, 9:20 PM EST
Update: While the official statement is that the Red Sox will decide Carl Crawford‘s fate Monday, ESPN is reporting that the decision has already been made that Crawford will undergo Tommy John surgery on Tuesday, making tonight’s game his last of the season.
Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said the Red Sox will meet on the off day Monday and make a decision on Tommy John surgery for Carl Crawford.
Crawford and doctors are expected to be involved in the meeting.
Rumor has Crawford preferring to undergo surgery now, which should ensure that he’s ready to play next spring. The Red Sox, though, might want to put it off, figuring that he could still be ready for Opening Day even if he waits until after the season to undergo surgery.
With a .309 average, two homers and 15 RBI in 17 games this month, Crawford has been one of the team’s best players of late.
In spite of all of the team’s struggles, the Red Sox still have some shot at a playoff berth, thanks largely to the addition of the second wild card. Of course, they would have to catch fire, something they haven’t done at any point this season. They’re currently 6 1/2 games back of the Orioles for the second wild card spot with 41 games left to play.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)