Aug 19, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Update: While the official statement is that the Red Sox will decide Carl Crawford‘s fate Monday, ESPN is reporting that the decision has already been made that Crawford will undergo Tommy John surgery on Tuesday, making tonight’s game his last of the season.
Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said the Red Sox will meet on the off day Monday and make a decision on Tommy John surgery for Carl Crawford.
Crawford and doctors are expected to be involved in the meeting.
Rumor has Crawford preferring to undergo surgery now, which should ensure that he’s ready to play next spring. The Red Sox, though, might want to put it off, figuring that he could still be ready for Opening Day even if he waits until after the season to undergo surgery.
With a .309 average, two homers and 15 RBI in 17 games this month, Crawford has been one of the team’s best players of late.
In spite of all of the team’s struggles, the Red Sox still have some shot at a playoff berth, thanks largely to the addition of the second wild card. Of course, they would have to catch fire, something they haven’t done at any point this season. They’re currently 6 1/2 games back of the Orioles for the second wild card spot with 41 games left to play.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 114
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (114)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (78)