Aug 19, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Update: While the official statement is that the Red Sox will decide Carl Crawford‘s fate Monday, ESPN is reporting that the decision has already been made that Crawford will undergo Tommy John surgery on Tuesday, making tonight’s game his last of the season.
Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said the Red Sox will meet on the off day Monday and make a decision on Tommy John surgery for Carl Crawford.
Crawford and doctors are expected to be involved in the meeting.
Rumor has Crawford preferring to undergo surgery now, which should ensure that he’s ready to play next spring. The Red Sox, though, might want to put it off, figuring that he could still be ready for Opening Day even if he waits until after the season to undergo surgery.
With a .309 average, two homers and 15 RBI in 17 games this month, Crawford has been one of the team’s best players of late.
In spite of all of the team’s struggles, the Red Sox still have some shot at a playoff berth, thanks largely to the addition of the second wild card. Of course, they would have to catch fire, something they haven’t done at any point this season. They’re currently 6 1/2 games back of the Orioles for the second wild card spot with 41 games left to play.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)