Red Sox “very interested” in re-signing Cody Ross

Aug 19, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT

cody ross getty Getty Images

Lost in all the negative stories surrounding the 2012 edition of the Boston Red Sox is the fact that corner outfielder Cody Ross has been very productive, and a steal at one-year, $3 million this past offseason.

But the Boston front office is paying close attention.

According to Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe, the Red Sox are “very interested in pursuing” another contract with Ross, who is currently scheduled to hit the free agent market five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series.

Ross is batting .272/.337/.517 with 18 home runs and 60 RBI in 91 games this season for Boston. He finished with a .240/.325/.405 slash line, 14 home runs and 52 RBI in 121 games last year with the Giants.

Cafardo suspects that the 31-year-old can command a “Josh Willingham three-year, $21 million type deal.”

1. tfbuckfutter - Aug 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I KNEW this would happen.

Always a great idea to sign a 31 year old who is having a career year on a one-year deal.

ALWAYS. Nothing can go wrong.

Sign him and then you’re set at the corner for the next 4 years.

Idiots.

• pisano - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I hope they resign him for five years, the guy strikes out a ton, just throw him low and away and he’ll go fishing.

2. tekton8 - Aug 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Seriously? How’s about selling high for once, you dopes…. Absolutely should have traded him for prospects already.

• hammyofdoom - Aug 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM

He’s on a 1 year contract, why trade him? They wont/wouldnt get jack back. They shouldn’t sign him either, but trading him wont really get anything back

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Even a draft pick is more valuable in a lost season than a guy playing for a contract.

Anything is better than letting him walk, but signing him long term would be worse.

An actual contender would pay for a hungry outfielder playing for a payday.

• teaspoon1731 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I feel like the Sox would listen to an actual contender willing to pay for him. But nothing in trade rumors ever mentioned Cody Ross. Not that I heard anyway. So, you want the Sox to offer him up as trade bait, thus completely disrespecting everything he’s done and ruining any chance they have to resign him (which they seem interested in doing), for the possibility of a draft pick? For possibly the first time ever, management’s decision makes sense to me.

• tekton8 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Hammy… could not disagree more. A good bat in a contract year is EXACTLY the type of player a non-playoff team should trade… and the market is always there. Ross was dealt in August of 2010 and helped the Giants win a World Series… Pence and Victorino this year are also good examples. The problem with the Red Sox organization is they don’t have the balls to commit to a rebuilding process… that and all their stars are overpaid underachievers.

3. teaspoon1731 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Of course they’re interested in signing him, he’s been great this year. But all he’s done is drive up his price but not necessarily his worth. I like Ross, but I hope they don’t pursue this seriously. I mean if they can grab him for one more year on the cheap, yeah sure go for it. But that’s not happening.

4. willclarkgameface - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

This is like the girlfriend (Red Sox) being more into the guy than the guy actually is.

Cody ain’t coming back to Boston. He must hate it there. I’d like to see him go to a contender that needs an outfielder, get a chance to play everyday, and show an APPRECIATIVE city his talents.

He’s not the most spectacular ballplayer, but damn it if he doesn’t play hard and do well for all the teams he’s been with.

• teaspoon1731 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Are you implying that Boston doesn’t appreciate Ross? Cus this article seems to counter that claim. And I assure you, the fanbase appreciates what Ross has done this year. But yes he does seem miserable in Boston, what with that thousand watt smile always on his face.

• willclarkgameface - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Is that you Larry Lucchino talking about how much Cody Ross smiles? That letter that you wrote to season ticket holders has some legs…

• teaspoon1731 - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I’m a girl so I notice a player’s face. I can see how that would confuse you.

5. aceshigh11 - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:49 AM

I can’t imagine anyone wanting to re-sign with this utterly dysfunctional, back-stabbing train-wreck of a team, but as AC/DC sang…money talks.

It’s going to take years to clear all of the toxic contracts they have off their books, unless they’re willing to eat the costs, which I doubt the current ownership is.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Since the Red Sox appear to be worried about the luxury tax, I wonder if they could afford to resign Ross? Those toxic contracts probably make it difficult to pay Ross what he deserves based on his 2012 performance.

• baldrich819 - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:43 AM

The thing is.. If u look at his number lines from the articles… Although they are better this year with fewer at bats compared to his season last year with the giants.. They are only slightly better… If nothing else, he is showin he can be consistent as reliable… I don’t think that nessasarily calls for a 3 year deal at 21 million… I think they could throw out a 2 to 3 year deal to him at somewhere around 5 million a year and he’d be happy… Which brings me to my next point.. I’m not sure if the people on here are being sarcastic or havnt read the article but in the past week Ross spoke with I believe either Gordon Edes or Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe and he Said that he fully expects to come back and play in Boston next year and beyond… Said he loves it here and right now can’t picture playing elsewhere ( you’ll have to find the article but it was within the past week it was posted on bleacher report)…. He’s got friends on the team (Pedroia and Ellsbury)… And he claims to love everything about the organization from management down…
        I think if the sox can sign him to a reasonable deal he would be a great pickup for an outfielder who can play all 3 positions out there… I’d say his defense is average at best and he can definitely hit at Fenway… I think the red sox should make signing him a priority after the season of they havnt already approached him with an extension of sorts… Only way I think he doesn’t sign here is if he goes to free agency and the atlanta braves offer him a decent contract… Dan Uggla is a longtime childhood friend of his and he has always said if he got the chance to sign to a team with him he would definitely consider it… Should be interesting to see what the red sox do though… I’ve said this before but it seems like anytime management is asked about players and signings and contracts they always refer back to their farm system and they list off a bunch of players they have waiting in the wings… With the exception of middlebrooks, a lot of the players they have brought up already or talked about have shown theyre not ready yet… But we shall see…

6. legacybroken - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Might as well try to resign Ross because Ellsbury is as sure as gone after next year.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS