Aug 19, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT
Lost in all the negative stories surrounding the 2012 edition of the Boston Red Sox is the fact that corner outfielder Cody Ross has been very productive, and a steal at one-year, $3 million this past offseason.
But the Boston front office is paying close attention.
According to Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe, the Red Sox are “very interested in pursuing” another contract with Ross, who is currently scheduled to hit the free agent market five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series.
Ross is batting .272/.337/.517 with 18 home runs and 60 RBI in 91 games this season for Boston. He finished with a .240/.325/.405 slash line, 14 home runs and 52 RBI in 121 games last year with the Giants.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (219)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)